Author Topic: Late Bleeding/Scar tissue formation  (Read 2928 times)

Offline ddb63443

• Posting Member
Hello, I am a 23 year old who has struggled with gynecomastia since the age of 12. Over the course of my adolesence and early adulthood my peers have poked, pinched, and made fun of my condition to the point where I did not want to live anymore. I have always been in excellent shape, competing in running and triathlon. Because of this, my puffy nipples look very odd on an otherwise athletic body.

Last summer, almost a year ago, I wrote a check for 5K to have the gynecomastia procedure done, to remove glandular and adipose tissue. My right side turned out perfectly, I could not be happier. However, I developed some delayed bleeding and scar tissue formation on the left hand side, which unfortunately kept the nipple looking the same as it did originally.

I went in to ask my surgeon about this, and he expressed concern that doing revision on the left side might create a saucer deformation. He expresed that it is not very noticable to others. I was pretty much crushed, as it is a problem for me.

I don't have the funds to go to a different surgeon, as I just took out a huge loan for medical school. Am I just stuck like this??

I have attached some recent photos of both sides from a front and profile view. I would like to have a second opinion, if possible as to whether I am stuck with an asymetrical chest or not.

Thank you very much

Ddb

Offline ddb63443

• Posting Member

Offline ddb63443

• Posting Member

Offline ddb63443

• Posting Member
Thank you for taking the time to help me with this. It has been such a source of frustration in my life that I have neglected to do many things with others out of fear of humiliation. It has essentially hurt who I am, I feel unconfident, weak, and intimidated because of this. It has caused pretty major depressive episodes and times of suicidal thoughts (of which I would never act on, but they are under control now) and feelings of hopelessness.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
You certainly still have some puffiness of the left nipple, and your surgeon should attend to this.  If you had bleeding post-operatively, this may be related to some scar tissue, and it might respond to a Kenalog injection.  If, on the other hand, it's the result of residual tissue that was left behind, you would likely require some re-excision.  Unfortunately, if your surgeon isn't willing or able to provide the care, you might find yourself looking for another surgeon.  I'd revisit your surgeon at the one-year mark.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline ddb63443

• Posting Member
Dr. Silverman, thank you for your response. It is very appreciated.

Db

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024