Author Topic: Time Frame for Post Op Second Opinion  (Read 2799 times)

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
As is the case with many here, I have post op concerns. I am 10 days post op so that only goes towards this common thought of "it did not go well". I had a moderately bad hemotoma on my left side which is going to slow healing but I am currently trusting my doctors prediction that the results will be good but will take 2-3 months to see it.

My general question is this - should i seek a second opinion - when would you advise is a good time frame to wait before a doctor could do a decent evaluation of the work done by another doctor ?  one month, two months, 3 months ?

« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:49:59 AM by greatlakes »

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Sorry to hear about your hematoma.  It does happen on occasion. In most cases in my practice, when I've had patients with a hematoma, whether I had to take the patient back to surgery or if I was able to manage it by serial aspiration, the results are generally pretty good by 8 to 10 weeks.  If you did your homework in identifying a good surgeon to do your procedure, you should put your trust in him and follow through with his plan.  If things don't seem to be progressing, then getting a second opinion after several months might be reasonable.  Prior to that, it would probably be difficult for another surgeon to give you any meaningful feedback beyond acknowledging that you had some problems and that you have to allow some time for resolution. 

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
That's kind of what I thought. With all this bruising and swelling I would not see how another doctor could see anything right now. 1250 CC was removed from me (fat and tissue procedures) so I can't imagine I wont see results.I was surprised he did not drain or aspire the hemotoma, but I know it is a judgement call.

I did my homework, the guy has all the qualifications, board certifications, society memberships & leadership, and reputation as an overall good plastic surgeon. My primary doctors even recommend him. You can't hardly open a high end magazine in my area without seeing him featured in it. He seems like a good guy to me personally as well.

I am having a rough recovery, but will wait a couple of months before deciding if I want an outside evaluation by another doctor. Thanks.

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Dr. Silverman is absolutely right.  It will probably be about 3 months before you know how things are going to look.  There may be no need for a second opinion.  You really only want a second opinion if you don't have faith in the first opinion.  And it sounds like you selected a solid guy.  Just follow his instructions and keep your appointments with him.  And be honest with him.  If later you want another opinion, be sure to talk with him about it.  Sometimes patients just disappear when there is a problem and the original surgeon is left with no ability to help.

Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Often if there is a small hematoma that doesn't require surgical drainage, serial aspiration is used to drain it, but it can take a little while until it's liquified enough to get anything out.  That may be why your surgeon didn't drain it at your previous visit.

RS

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
I have a visit on Friday, I can ask. Tuesday will be 2 weeks

As far as I know, there is no intent to do anything to me, other than let it heal.  The selling is down 60% on that side, the purple/black has left my chest and traveled downwards to my hips. There are some very hard parts left to what is still swollen on my left chest.

I did not have under the nipple surgery, only the tiny tubes on the sides.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Hematoma is more of a nuisance than a serious complication,they typically resolve without any significant intervention. I will usually attempt to aspirate any fluid if its convenient for the patient to speed things along.The most difficult thing for the patient and myself is waiting it out.So to directly respond you need to give it more time.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I join the other docs in urging you to wait and be patient.  Hematomas do take time to resolve.

It sounds like you did your homework in choosing a surgeon -- so put your trust and faith in him.  All surgeons have a hematoma at one time or another -- and all surgeons will stick by you as long as you keep your faith in him.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
2 weeks, 3 days post op visit today.

The swelling is down on left side and I was feeling better. However, my doctor apparently was not happy with the progress and firmness - and decided to drain the left (old hemotoma) side. Basically stuck a needle with a huge syringe and sucked out about 20 CC of old blood. Then tried a little pressure to get more out into a gauze. He tired the right side (non hemotoma) but found no blood. It did not hurt. My left side came down quite a bit with that old blood removal and looks more balanced with the healing on the right side. He said come back next Friday and if needed I will take out any remaining on the left if needed. He has requested frequent evaluations with him since the surgery, can't say he is not keeping up on me. This is probably my 4th post op visit

He said in another month I should be feeling "okay" about hitting the showers at the gym.

Thanks for the encouragement and recommendation for patience.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024