Author Topic: At the 7 week mark  (Read 2057 times)

Offline st23

• Posting Member
Would it be strange to still have swelling at the 7 week mark?
I'm 42 if that matters. I had a mild case. The contour has improved. it just appears a bit puffy-especially on the one side. At my one month appt,the Dr seemed to think everything was ok. I still have swelling(unless he forgot to lipo) in the armpit area. I'm trying to be patient. If I have to wait longer,then I'm ok with it. I have a sinking feeling that the Dr didn't do the greatest job.Please talk me off the ledge. 

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
There is still active healing going on for up to 10-12 weeks after surgery.  Swelling is just one manifestation of the healing process.

I would recommend patience.  Make sure you are sleeping equally on one side and then the other -- or on your back.

There is more than enuf time to worry about results -- but evaluate the results at six months, not now.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
When I perform liposuction on say a female patient I tell her it takes four to six months to see the final result.I am not certain what you had done so it is impossible to be highly specific but it would be typical to have some swelling at 7 weeks.If things are improving albeit more slowly than you of your physician would like that would be more indicative of swelling.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I agree with the need for patience. Regarding your armpit areas specifically, they tend to stay swollen longer than the chest, possibly because compression up high in the armpit is often not fully effective (the garment doesn't always reach there) and also because the lymphatic drainage can be disrupted by the mechanical action of the liposuction process.  It seems to me that armpits always stay more swollen longer than the other parts of the chest. Of course, I can't say whether or not your surgeon did much suction there--just an observation in my own patients.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery