Author Topic: A trip to the Dr.s office.  (Read 3082 times)

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I got called into the Dr.s office as soon as my recent lab work got reported. Triglycerides and blood sugar both went off the chart.

For years I have boasted of being the only non-diabetic in the family. I guess that is no longer true.

So the Dr. gives me this list of things not to eat which is mostly a list of things I don's eat anyhow. From the way the Dr. talks, they must think I just sit around eating greasy hamburgers and french fries all the time and wash them down with sugar filled soda.

After being scolded about consuming too much pork, especially bacon and sausage and arguing without success that I have not had any pork in over a month; I decided to have a decent meal if it was going to be my last. So on the way home I picked up 2 racks of pork ribs and put them in the smoker last night. Actually I had planned on a salmon fillet poached in lemon juice for tonights dinner with a generous serving of cauliflower. Instead, I'll have a big plate of ribs and a baked potato dripping with butter and sour cream.
Grandpa Dan

Offline walt

• Gold Member
happy greetings , i eat healthy and my triglycerides were high as well , it runs in the family so i told the dr what should i eat air waffles and water salad? i eat almost no meats and little eggs so whats left.i am borderline type 2 diabetic sometimes my A1C is a low 5 and sometimes its over 9.so i don`t know . anyhow i am at the point that ill eat what i want and take what years i have left as they come sometimes i think the cure is worse than the ill.best wishes PawPaw, be well

Offline xelnaga13

Sorry to hear that your blood work was less than pleasing. If it was drastically different than your previous samples it may be an anomaly.

A 2nd opinion never hurt either. It was a second opinion after years of terrible blood work that my father was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and low T.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Blood sugar is always borderline and Triglycerides have always been off the scale high. Years ago while in in Air Force, I did some testing and put myself on a fat free diet. I was a medic so the hospital dietician was helping me. I ate all my meals in the hospital dining room anyway. The result was that my cholesterol and triglycerides went up. It seems that if I do not take in enough, my body starts to make up for the lack by producing a ton of the stuff. The Doctors have a problem believing that though. They seem to think I am sitting at home eating processed luncheon meat and chomping chips all day.

Incidentally, I just had a snack. Half a pear and a hand full of grapes. The Doctor will not believe that.

I'm the only guy I know that still goes camping with a bunch of kids at my age. Major hikes are a thing of the past,of course, but I can still do a good 5 miles now and then with about 3.5 miles more common for a daily walk.

I've managed to outlive a few Doctors, I guess that is my best revenge.

Offline xelnaga13

Are you planning on getting a second opinion or new blood work?

hammer

My triglyceride's have run as high as 800 in the pass as well as my brothers have too so it runs in my family.

When I tried the Atkins diet everything came down for me! Sugars, as well as all my normal blood work, triglyceride, Hdl and LDL cholesterol any everything else!

I have been using a high fiber diet and it has been working the same way! If I have a lot of pain or stress my sugars may run high but I do control that with insulin.

No matter what diet I use it is hard to live like I do because I can't exercise much.

Paa_Paw I have faith that you will get that diabetes under control but it takes a lot of work and studying. It also is hard, because what works one day does not work the next!

I run high one day and low the next even though I have the same routine!

I wish you the best of luck my friend!

Bob

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
My Doctor retired a year ago and I am going through hell trying to break in a new one.

The ups and downs are a matter of trying first one medication then another.

Without any regulation, my cholesterol goes so high that they must test a diluted sample and thus the results are actually estimated. This has been true since I was in my early 20's over 50 years ago. It was true even when I ate all my meals in the hospital dining room prepared under the direction of the hospital dietician. When starving and losing a pound a day my cholesterol goes way up. Supposedly that is impossible.

hammer

I hear ya! I met my new primary care doctor at the VA and he has the personality of a rattle snake! He didn't even pay attention when he asked the question! He even cut down my old doctor of 18 years from the U of M who was twice rated leading top Endorinologist in the twin cities!

I have asked for a new doctor or to go to another clinic! He has even messed up some of my meds that have worked for me for years, and to top it all off, my old doctor sent me a letter to give the new doctor to cover my history!

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
When the new Doc finally gets done playing with my meds things will settle down. Hopefully they will not kill me off first.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024