Author Topic: Nervous of General Anasthesia  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Jake7676

• Bronze Member
To be honest i am considering this surgery however the only thing that would stop me or consider stopping me would be General Anasthesia.

I really dont know why i am nervous and scared i am only 17 (18 soon)however i think it is the fear of the unknown. I don't even like any second of being in a hospital it's just ugghhh i dont know how to explain it like a phobia which it is actually.

I would like to ask doctors if they know anything that i could calm my self down and not be afraid of general anasthesia? i mean i dont know you surgeons are sure the experts.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I would discuss this with your surgeon. I typically do not use general anesthesia.I had a patient last week who was very anxious and we did the surgery under local.I most commonly use twilight sedation. The two key issues are first patient (your) safety and second the fact you are comfortable with the treatment plan before and during surgery.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Jake7676

• Bronze Member
I would discuss this with your surgeon. I typically do not use general anesthesia.I had a patient last week who was very anxious and we did the surgery under local.I most commonly use twilight sedation. The two key issues are first patient (your) safety and second the fact you are comfortable with the treatment plan before and during surgery.
So how did your patient go with the Local anasthesia, and was it only local anasthesia that he used or twilight sedation aswell?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I use general anesthesia for most of my gynecomastia procedures.  As for safety, as a healthy young man, it is safer for you to go under general anesthesia than it is for you to travel to and from the hospital.  Not sure if that alleviates your anxiety.  Local anesthesia may be an option, but I don't offer straight local except for minor revisions in my office.  In my practice setting, general anesthesia and local with twilight sleep cost the same, so there's no financial advantage.  I leave it up to the patient, but most prefer to go to sleep.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Local only , I started an iv in case he changed his mind in mid stream so to speak but he was fine.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024