Author Topic: Revision...blood tests?  (Read 1859 times)

Offline fnnewguy

• Silver Member
Hello guys, im back...going in for revision March 7th. The doctor did excision only and focused only on the area directly below the nipple. While the nipple doesnt pertrude as much, the over all shape of my chest still sticks out and there is still clearly gyno as I am quite muscular. I have been having some itching sensations recently and am wondering if 8 months after my initial surgery if this was normal? There is no tenderness like when I got this during puberty. I had kenalog injections in november for scar tissue that seems to have built up on top or residual gland. My revision will be further excision and lipo while im asleep where as last time I was just under local, the doctor said he can be more aggressive under general. He is not charging for a srugeons fee, but I have to pay for the other stuff which comes to around another grand...is this itching something ishould be concerned about 8 months post op, when my gyne hasnt really changed in years? p.s. i took some store bought "pro-hormones" about 4 years ago, and that actually seemed to make the gland smaller until i quit using then it returned to its normal size and remained unchanged for another year and a half til i had surgery.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I am a bit confused as your title deals with blood tests but there is no mention of blood tests in the body of your question.I any case, itching is quite common after surgery.Itching occurs in the overwhelming majority of patients and resolves with time.The time course of the resolution is variable however.In the worst cases ice packs seem to be a big help for itching.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline fnnewguy

• Silver Member
Sorry,I am wondering if I should get my hormone levels checked, due to the itching. Its not bad or intense, but any sensation is kind of scary to me. I would hate to have a second surgery and have some kind of recurrence. Thanks!

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Your history is a bit sketchy, but if your gynecomastia was puberty-related, and your pro-hormone use was limited and four years ago, your hormone levels should be normal. That said, we don't know your age or other medical history. If you think there's a reason to check your levels other than itching, then you should have them checked. If the only reason you're wondering about your levels is that your nipples are itchy, you probably don't need to have them checked.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline fnnewguy

• Silver Member
I'm 27 and have no history of any kind of medical issues. I work out 5 days a week and am not on any kind of meds. I do party occasionally (drink and smoke marijuana) but that has never An effect on my gyne.

Offline fnnewguy

• Silver Member
Is it possible to have painless growth post surgery? The doctor said I have scar tissue and we did one set of Kenalog injections, now I'm set to have revision to remove scar tissue and more gland along with lipo as opposed to the excision only last time. Have you guys ever heard of painless growth post surgery? I mentioned it to him and he didn't seem to be worried that it was growing back. He is doing the revision free and wants me to go under general so be can be " more aggressive". My assumption is that this is now a bit of scar tissue sitting atop risidual gland. What do you doctors think?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
The most common cause of "re-growth" after surgery is scar tissue formation, not "re-growth" of breast tissue.

It is possible that there was additional tissue surrounding the nipples that was not addressed during your initial surgery.  If your surgeon is going to be aggressive to remove the remaining tissue, then go for it.  On the other hand, if it is only nipple protrusion that bothers you, then perhaps some additional, perhaps more aggressive, Kenalog injections, could avoid additional surgery.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Probably the most likely scenario in your case is some combination of scar tissue along with under-resection with your primary procedure.  If you feel tissue in the area and you're able to see protrusion of the nipple or prominence of the lower chest, then aggressive revision is probably appropriate.  It doesn't sound like it's an issue of hormones at this point.

RS

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024