Author Topic: Is this gland or just fat?  (Read 1424 times)

Offline neon_cascade

• Posting Member
First of all, a big thank you for the gracious support provided by all the doctors to the members of this forum.

I developed gyne around the age of 13 and there would be a feeling of discomfort when I touched the nipples. This went away with time but the gyne remained. I am now 22 years old. Before considering surgery, I consulted an endocrinologist who carried out blood tests to gauge hormone levels and the results were normal. However, he said that it was just fatty tissue. I am now confused as I feel that there is glandular tissue present, as I have never been overweight and the gyne has not shown changes when I have tried exercise. I can feel lumps under the nipples when pinched between the fingers.

I have attached some pictures. I know that it may difficult to tell without a physical examination, but can you judge whether this is just fat or there is enlarged glandular tissue as well. If it just fat, should I just go with exercise?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
It's not easy to say if the tissue present is fat or glandular tissue based on a photograph, but as you're not overweight and you've had this condition since puberty, it's most likely a combination of the two, and exercise/weight loss will not resolve the problem.  At this point, consultation with a plastic surgeon with experience in gynecomastia surgery would be appropriate.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery