Author Topic: Is this Gynecomastia or just fat tissue?  (Read 3931 times)

Offline marcco

• Posting Member
Hello,

I need an opinion on whether there is Gynecomastia present or not.
I have some fat on my chest, so Liposuction will definitively be required.
But what about enlarged glands? Are there any, or is it just all fat?

I am 28 years old, 185cm (6 feet and 0.83 inches) and 79kg (174 pounds). I do not know what body fat percentage do I have.
Got this shape of chest when I was 14.5 years old, and still have it up to this date. At that time(14,5 years old) I started putting on a weight. 6 months later I got an asthma. And had it for around 3 years (from 15 to 18). During that period I was using Becotide and Flixotide inhalers which are both corticosteroid. I read somewhere that steroids could cause Gynecomastia, so this is why I am mentioning those.

Areola and nipples could be bit a larger than this. It was quite cold in the room, so they shrank a bit.

That scar you see on my left part of the chest is quite old, I got it when I was 5 from burn. Just neglect it.

Ignore the date on images, it's not correct. The date should be present one.
Just copy the link into your web browser and hit Enter.

Front:
imageshack.us/photo/my-images/443/xtf2.jpg

Front with raised arms:
imageshack.us/photo/my-images/404/2lr5.jpg

Right profile:
imageshack.us/photo/my-images/707/72vh.jpg

Left profile:
imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/ggxh.jpg

Thank you.

Offline bloodygyno

• Posting Member
im no expert but to me it looks like gyno with excess gland.

Offline marcco

• Posting Member
Appreciate the answer bloodygyno.

Any other opinions please?

Thank you.

Offline shashank2205

• Posting Member
That looks like breast tissues
as u are skinny from all the other places

one simple question how does it feel when u press or feel them

is it soft or d u feel a hard lump

Offline marcco

• Posting Member
Thank you for the the reply shashank.
Well, I am not really sure - it does feel a bit soft when pressed. But I can not determine to which degree it could be very soft or a bit less soft.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I have discussed this situation in a recent post.  Check it out at Patient Galleries on this website.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline marcco

• Posting Member
Dear Doctor Jacobs,
Thank you for the reply.
You were referring to your "Is it fat or breast tissue? What is pseudogynecomastia?" topic?

Would you mind if I quote one part of your text?

I feel the term “pseudogynecomastia” is misleading in more than one way.  Not only are moobs containing fat alone virtually non-existent, the “pseudo” prefix implies that perhaps the condition is not real or worth solving.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  No matter how much gland tissue vs. fat lies under the skin, any excess tissue should be called gynecomastia. If you have it, and it bothers you, it’s worth addressing.

It is not that removal of the gland tissue is some kind of a loss. I even read somewhere that men could get a breast cancer too (still in much lower rates than women). So I guess from that perspective, that's another argument, in terms of removing it.
The only problem, that remains is of course - the money. Not sure if you know, but even a 1000 dollars fee is quite an expense in some countries.

So the reason why some of us, are asking whether this is a pseudogynecomastia or an "actual" gynecomastia is very simple - if it is a pseudogynecomastia we will try to loose the weight and exercise more. Yes, it far harder and longer way, and it may return back, but still it will save you the money. If it is pseudogynecomastia, we will try to somehow get the money and do it.

Of course all above written is my opinion on this issue.
Some people may be afraid of operations, needles. Maybe in their case that was the reason for asking whether that is or not a pseudogynecomastia.
In my case, the reason is purely financial.

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It would be best if you re-read what I wrote.  Some people think that there can be just fat accumulation on the chest with no breast tissue present at all.  They are wrong.  I have never seen one case of gynecomastia in which there was only fat with no breast tissue - period.  Hence there is no such thing as pseudo-gynecomastia.

It is equally erroneous to think that you can get rid of all the excess tissue by diet and exercise -- but don't take my word for it -- go out and do it!  And after all your time and effort, I think that you will then come to empathize with the many threads on this forum who lament that despite all their diet and exercise, their moobs have remained to some extent and they cannot obtain that desired trim ad contoured chest by diet and exercise alone.

Sorry to burst your bubble -- but those are my opinions based on thousands of cases.

Dr Jacobs

Offline marcco

• Posting Member
Forgive me for another reply doctor, but I am still not sure I do understand you.

What did you mean by "I have never seen one case of gynecomastia in which there was only fat with no breast tissue"?
Both women and men were born with human breasts. During "normal" body development, while women mammary gland develop further, the ones men have undergo the natural atrophy.
So what you meant was: "I have never seen one case of gynecomastia in which there was only fat with no enlarged breast tissue"?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
All men have some amount of breast tissue remaining on their chest.  For guys with normal appearing chests, the breast tissue is small but it is still there.  It does not disappear completely after puberty.

Dr Jacobs

Offline marcco

• Posting Member
That is exactly what I said.
It seem your reply caused the confusion:

I have never seen one case of gynecomastia in which there was only fat with no breast tissue - period

As all man have breast tissue, what you meant was: with no enlarged breast tissue?

That's quite a brave statement to make. It neglects a science proven condition of Pseudogynecomastia.

Thank you for your replies Doctor.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024