Author Topic: Interesting Question (to me anyway)  (Read 1658 times)

Offline fguss01

• Bronze Member
Docs,
I have posted here more than once, adult onset gyne, maybe triggered by motilium etc - growing slowly for a year now and driving me crazy with soreness, weird skin sensations, underarm pressure etc etc.

I was just sitting here thinking about the Gyne and remembered that I had a period from say 12-14 years old where I became very fat and had quite large breasts - by the time I was 16 I was 6' 2" tall and 168lbs, and was very lean until I hit 51 years of age.

Q1 - Are people who have gyne in their teens likely to see a recurrence as they get into their 50s and 60s - or am I just looking for reasons where there are none?

Also I am finding that as the gyne develops I am carrying more weight around the middle despite doing more in the gymn (resistance train once per week) and the pool (swim 2km per week) despite being only 180lbs I seem to be getting flabbier.

Dont take any supplements or drugs, last bloods showed Test at 16 (range 10-40)and estradiol at 80 (range 10-160)I am now 52.

Q2 - I would really like to know how long the gyne devt phase lasts - or will it continue indefinitely as my test gently slides down the scale.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Gynecomastia that occurs during adolescence and resolves may come back to haunt you later in life, either as the result of medication or steroid use, or possibly with advancing age and decreased levels of testosterone, which occur normally.  Anecdotally, many patients who develop gynecomastia from steroid use describe transient gynecomastia during puberty, but I'm not aware of any study that's actually looked at the absolute numbers, and certainly many patients who develop the condition from steroids or medication did NOT have it during puberty. 

To address your questions, worsening gynecomastia associated with increased mid-section fat suggests that you're losing your battle in the control of body fat, in spite of your exercise regimen. This will most likely require some dietary manipulation as well, since increasing body fat suggests an excess of calories relative to energy expenditure.  In other words, the gynecomastia isn't causing increased mid-section fat, but rather both are the result of the same thing--increasing body-fat percentage.  Increasing chest fat translates to gynecomastia, and this may also be impacted by the medication use you mentioned. At 52, hormonal issues can certainly play a role, though your test results appear to be within normal range.  If the levels are falling and your symptoms are increasing (fatigue, loss of strength, erectile issues, etc.), you may consider discussion of hormone replacement therapy (HRT) with your physician, in part to help alleviate the other symptoms, but also to help limit the progression of your gynecomastia. 

And in answer to question 2...it's a slow downhill slide for all of us. HRT may slow that process, but you should discuss this with your doctor. 

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline fguss01

• Bronze Member
thanks Doctor Silverman - you have answered me before and as always - good sound advice.

Following advice from yourself and Doctor Jacobs I added some resistance work into my exercise regime which has definitely helped with building some additional muscle and strength - it just seems that my metabolism has slowed since i am eating no more than I ever have but seem pre-dispositioned to adding weight around my middle.

Guess I must just try harder :-)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024