Author Topic: Overweight but wanting surgery - advice?  (Read 1657 times)

Offline screenc

Hi,

Ever since I was a teenager I've been overweight and developed man boobs. I'm 26 now and ever since have hidden them by using compression vests and other means. It has gotten to a point where I am sick and tired of having to use a vest under my clothing and would just like to be "normal" when it comes to clothing. My weight and moobs have dramatically affected my confidence and it is mainly my chest that has stopped me from joining the gym to help with my current weight loss.
I was thinking about getting gyne surgery to help give me a better looking chest and a confidence boost to help me further achieve my goals.
I am 5ft 11 and weight 15 st 5 lbs. I have attached pics of what my chest is currently like. Would I be a good candidate for surgery. Also, would there like be any issues with loose skin on my chest?

Offline screenc

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Undoubtedly, surgical results are better when you're weight is more appropriate to your height.  Nonetheless, you could get improvement in the appearance of your chest, which would be significant, and I have had numerous overweight patients find that they are much better able to manage weight loss after their surgery.  This is probably in large part motivational, and the surgery serves a bit as a carrot on a stick!  You need to understand, however, that you may be more likely to require some sort of revision surgery than someone who is of normal weight.  I have been treating patients like yourself without skin removal and getting very good results using very aggressive liposuction and gland excision followed by skin support using a sticky-backed foam pad for a week post-op.  I need to update my website with some of these patients, but I may actually have some posted on this site.

Anyway, you really need to chose your surgeon carefully to be sure that he or she does a lot of gynecomastia procedures.  Your situation is a bit more complicated to try and get the best outcome.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
In a perfect world you would be 25 pounds lighter.I find that most of my patients with gynecomastia are somewhat overweight.The reason for this is that the mild weight gain "hides" the gynecomastia in that it blends in with the surrounding areas.After surgery patients almost always loose weight and increase their exercise.The patients just plain and simply feel much better about themselves and the surgery jump starts a re appraisal of their lifestyle.
Good Luck
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I echo my colleagues findings -- successful gyne surgery can be performed on overweight men.  However,it is important to understand that we cannot provide a cut, muscular chest when the remainder of your body is somewhat overweight.  What surgery can do is reduce the size and droopiness of your breasts so that they are in proportion to a guy who is a few pounds overweight.

Obviously, if you could drop some weight prior to surgery, your results will undoubtedly be better.

I have also seen guys significantly improve their physiques after gyne surgery -- they get motivated and go on appropriate diet and exercise routines.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024