Author Topic: Rapid weight loss before surgery  (Read 2766 times)

Offline moka

• Posting Member
Hello,

I have surgery scheduled for ten days from now, and I am currently 15 pounds over my ideal weight. Now I have a question that I already asked my surgeon, but I would very much appreciate a second opinion.

Would it be safe for me to diet say 8 days of the remaining ten days so that I can get as close to my ideal weight as possible before surgery?

If you advise against it, would you advise me to postpone the surgery (even though I can't easily get time off)and get rid of the 15 pounds first, or just go ahead with the surgery with my current weight?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Strict dieting prior to surgery is not helpful.  You need your body to be at an optimal nutritional state so that you will heal well.  Any diet should be slow and gradual.

The 10-15 lb difference is not critical.  If you were planning to lose 50 or more pounds, then I agree it would be better to postpone your surgery.  But would not postpone or diet excessively for 10-15 lb weight difference.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline moka

• Posting Member
Thank you Dr. Jacobs.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Agree with Dr. Jacobs.  When you're only a short way from your goal weight, post-surgical dieting can actually improve your results.  You shouldn't rush into your diet until you've recovered from the procedure.  Good luck with your surgery.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline moka

• Posting Member
Agree with Dr. Jacobs.  When you're only a short way from your goal weight, post-surgical dieting can actually improve your results.  You shouldn't rush into your diet until you've recovered from the procedure.  Good luck with your surgery.

Rick Silverman

That's good to know, I'll do a slow diet post surgery. Thanks.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I would guess that a majority of my patients are a bit overweight before surgery.The excess weight tends to mask the gynecomastia. It is not helpful to go on a crash diet prior to surgery,in fact it may be dangerous. A lot of patients increase the exercise and reduce their caloric consumption after surgery.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline moka

• Posting Member
So you are saying that the excess weight is not good but preferable to a crash diet.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024