Author Topic: Dr.s - Could you please give me your professional opinion and advice  (Read 2284 times)

Offline SeekingChange

Hello.  Im rather hesitant about even posting here as needless to say this is not something most guys would care to openly talk about but I am desperate to get my issue fixed and Im doing as much research as I can and I would sincerely appreciate and be very grateful for any in-depth professional advice, opinions and information.

Ive suffered from this condition for about 15 years now, being about 35 now, I lost a lot of weight around 20, leaving excess sagging chest, stomach & even poofyness in the crotch area and excess loose skin on the inner thighs of my legs.  More diet & exercise has never been enough to do anything as I think is made evident by the pics.  I think the condition is just too severe at this point for anything other then surgery to correct.

This has absolutely and completely ruined my life...I dont feel Ive ever really been able to even live life or enjoy life due to the shame and embarrassment of this and I finally have enough money to do something about it.

My main concerns at this point is the chest area and stomach and love handles.  I have enough money for the chest as I understand that can typically range around $5-6k.  Im hoping I also have enough money to do something about my stomach area and love handles.  The other 2 areas mentioned I would love to get fixed as well but words couldnt describe how much happier of a person Id be with just getting the chest & stomach area fixed.  The other 2 things I could live with.

Ive had one in person consultation so far but it was with a smaller town Dr who maybe performs 2-3 gyno procedures per year...I want a bigger city Dr with a lot more experience then that.  Ive been focusing my search for Drs in the Chicago area since Im relatively close by.  Im considering Dr.s Jay Pensler or Dr. Placik atm.  Dr. Pensler I think does 100+ gynos per year while Dr. Otto does about 25 per year over 13 years time.  Im not sure if thats enough to make a difference as far as the quality and final outcome...

There are a few things I am really fearful of and concerned about at this point.  My condition I feel is fairly severe...I was told I could have 1 of 3 things done with my chest.  Option 1 - The basic incision around the aerola which would leave a small, barely visible scar but would still leave a lot of fatty tissue and lose skin.  Second option - That along with a small incision under the breast tissue.  Third option - a much larger incision from under the entire breast all the way around to my side.  

I really dont think Id be happy with option 1 or 2 as I want to completely get rid of this nightmare thats plagued me for so long and want as flat and as normal of a chest as possible.  As I understand though, Option 3 would leave the most noticeable and pronounced scaring making it forever clearly evident that I had the procedure done.

So it seems I have to chose between the lesser of 2 evils...either have minimal scaring but still have an abnormal chest and still be unhappy and uncomfortable with my appearance in public...or go all the way and have as normal and flat of a chest as possible with pretty severe scaring.  I feel that as long as I could at least wear shirts & look normal that way, I would have to chose option 3.  Cuz at this point Im tired of always having to find just the right baggy shirts and always worrying about my appearance in public.

All of that is one of my main worries and concerns and I would like to know if my basic understanding on that is correct.  One other is from other pics Ive seen of other men with about the same size chest area as me, some of them, the final outcome their chest looks pretty good and contoured well...some of them there are clear abnormalities, ie, indentations, still left over fat & saggyness, uneven and unsymmetrical shape etc...this is perhaps my biggest worry...I know not to have false expectations and think any Dr can make me look 100% normal but I also know the final outcome also greatly depends on the skill and experience as much as the artistry involved to make it look as good and sculpted as possible...I dont want to go trough all of this just to have an abnormal, freakish looking upper chest build that doesnt look at least close to normal, besides the scaring.

Also, the Dr told me the bottom of my stomach is mostly loose skin which I think would require an abdominalplasty aka tummy tuck.  I understand this can also cost 5k-10k.  And liposuction on my love handles maybe around $1500 if being done at the same time of the gyno & tummy tuck?  I only have about $10k atm...If I had to I could sell some stuff to come up with maybe $12-14k...would this maybe be enough to get both the gyno & tummy tuck and maybe the love handles done at the same time?

One last note.  I was also told I really need to stop smoking before the procedure to help with the healing...is this very important and does it really make a big difference?  Im currently in the process of trying to quit for that very reason.  I was also told its better to be at my ideal body weight before the procedure or before any other consultations...Im anxious to do a couple more consultations asap but is it better to wait till Ive lost more weight?  Im 6'3 and weigh 270 currently...I think I should be around 220 instead maybe?  When I first lost all that weight I was pretty skinny and stayed that way for several years thinking the problems would just get better but never did so I kinda stopped caring about being so trim.

Im sorry for the long book here.  This just represents years of misery & frustration and this is a very big deal for me and just want to make sure I get the best help possible.  Thank you very much for your time.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You are still overweight and would do well to lose additional weight before contemplating any surgery.

You would require extensive gyne surgery to remove remaining gland and fat and to tighten the skin and re-position the nipples.  This type of surgery will leave scars but they are a decent trade-off for a firmer, more defined chest.

As for the abdomen, you will probably require some type of tummy tuck.  Both doctors you mentioned are top-notch.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I would agree that you should continue with your weight loss before having a procedure.  This will help in many ways, but most importantly, a healthier lifestyle will make it more likely that you'll enjoy your results for a longer time.  It will also allow for a more effective procedure.

In conjunction with the weight loss, you should most certainly discontinue smoking.  Abdominoplasty and "option 3" involve raising skin flaps, which can be compromised by the nicotine-induced vasoconstriction associated with smoking.  Many surgeons will NOT operate on smokers for this reason, as the risks can be considerable with certain procedures. 

Maintaining a more normal body weight through a diet and exercise program, followed by surgical correction of the things that bother you should go a long way toward providing you with a more satisfying existence.  The difficult part is that you need to put in considerable effort to get the best outcome.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com