Author Topic: Liposuction - One side only  (Read 1768 times)

Offline COD4

• Posting Member
Dear Doctors, i have had an gynocomastia surgery .. surgeon didnt use the liposuction because i did this surgery in a local hospital and done by a general surgeon .. unfortunately he has reduced the fat on one side more than the other just by cutting out the fat as far as i know.. anyways now im considering a revision surgery and i met a plastic surgeon . he said that he will do liposuction on the side which is bigger..

so i have seen on the internet that some people talk about returning of fat to the lipo sucked areas . so my question is if i have liposuction on one side only , will it be a problem in future if i gain weight someday ?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
my question is if i have liposuction on one side only , will it be a problem in future if i gain weight someday ?

It would probably not be a problem.  However, the more important question is whether your surgeon performed an excision as well.  An excision is needed in many cases -- but not all.

Dr Jacobs
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 06:44:15 AM by Dr. Elliot Jacobs »
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline COD4

• Posting Member
Thanks for ur reply. actually i didnt undesrstand what you said doc ..

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
If you had gynecomastia surgery done only by excision by a general surgeon, if you were symmetric to start, and he removed an equal amount of tissue from each side, you might have a symmetric outcome.  In your case, though we don't know about pre-operative symmetry, we know that you were not even afterwards, and the reason is because there is more fat left behind on one side than the other.  Without seeing the appearance, it's impossible to say if you need liposuction on both sides or one side.  In any case, the end result that's desired is one that's symmetric.  If your end result is symmetric, meaning an equal amount of fat remains on each side, it shouldn't matter how the fat was removed as far as future problems--weight gain would likely be similar on both sides.  If, on the other hand, the end result is not symmetric, weight gain might make that asymmetry more pronounced in the future. 

I think that's what you were asking.  So what you want out of any revision is a symmetric appearing chest.  It doesn't matter if that result is obtained by liposuction or by fat excision.  As plastic surgeons who do liposuction frequently, this is a more predictable option for providing safe removal of fat in a predictable manner. General surgeons are not usually trained in liposuction, so they are more likely to just cut the tissue away. It's still removed, but it may be more challenging to do it symmetrically.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery