Author Topic: Unique question for the Drs please dont judge  (Read 2236 times)

Offline mr2short91

• Posting Member
I have gyno due to Prohormone use.  I used to be heavily into body building and did a cycle that lasted too long then got some counterfeit anti estrogens to boot.  I used to be really built, almost to the point I was ready to compete but then gyno showed it's ugly face.  I didnt have the money to correct it right away so it got pretty bad.  I would guess at this point im somewhere in the A/B cup range. 

I've been saving for surgery for about 5 years now.  I have had a few consults with Drs locally.  I have one coming up next week too.  Im on the fence about wanting to really go thru with it now though.  My wife really loves it which is kinda cool but im so self concious about it I never want to go to the beach or pool anymore which is a huge inconvenience living in Florida.

Im also heavily into body modification, piercing and tattoos. Im not sure about how bad the scarring is or where exactly they will cut but I'm planning to tattoo over them eventually.  This is where the Drs come in, I know it sounds crazy but I would like to if I go through with the surgery actually have my nipples removed too.  This is for 2 reasons, 1) I know they can fully remove the gland so the likelihood of the gyno ever coming back is impossible and 2) because getting a full uninterrupted chest tattoo without ugly nipples distracting from the artwork would be absolutely amazing!  What is the possibility of finding a Dr who would agree to do this for me?  Is there a good way to pose the question that would raise my chances for them agreeing to do it?

Again I'm not even 100% if I'll go through with the surgery but if I do, this is something I really feel strongly about.  If it cant be done I'll probably just go without.

Thanks

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
i wouldn't recommend doing that but I bet you could find a doc somewhere that would.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
I would strongly recommend against having your nipples removed - agree with Dr. Schuster.  This becomes a philosophical issue.  If you think about it, tattoos serve to enhance the human form.  Your goal is to change your body with artwork to make it more attractive (in the eyes of the beholder).  If you did this for the sake of the beauty of the artwork, you may as well just paint the art on a canvas and frame it.  But it's done to enhance the human body. So in my opinion, defacing the body by removing the nipples goes against the reason for getting the body art.  Someone may look at your result and find the absence of nipples very odd or unattractive, at the very least.
This is my opinion, but that's what these forums are all about. 

Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline mr2short91

• Posting Member
But is the tattoos and/or modification to please others or please the wearer?  For that matter the surgery that I'm considering undergoing, is that for the pleasure of others or of myself?  I feel the nice smooth chest will further enhance the appearance of my body without interruption.  I have a full back piece already and couldnt imagine how odd it would look with 2 blank circles in the middle of it.  Just doesnt make sense.  In fact, in my research I've seen a tremendous amount of mastectomy recipients who are now going this route.  From my understanding, in the case of breast cancer full mastectomy, the nipple is removed to lessen the chance of the cancer coming back.  I've seen the pictures of full removals, the nice smooth appearance is very attractive and once it's tattooed it looks even more amazing.

Neither of you guys addressed the other aspect, the ability to further reduce the likelihood of recurrence.  I'm under the understanding too that with the removal of the nipple and glands it would prevent the caved in looking appearance.  The skin could be pulled tighter creating and even smoother look. 

My concern is finding a reputable, experienced and board certified Dr in Florida that is ok with doing a full removal.  I know there are countless surgeons down here but I've seen a lot of horrible work.  I want my surgery, if I choose to go through with it, done correctly and perfectly even if it means I have to drive some distance. 

Additional input from you guys is greatly appreciated, especially you Dr. Pope since you're actually in Florida.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I do not know a single credible surgeon who would agree to remove your nipples for the type of correction you describe.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
I am well aware of the body modification procedures. I guess I'm just a bit old fashioned and choose not to participate in that sort of thing. You are right though, in theory there is nothing "wrong" with wanting it done - free country and all of that.Be careful out there though. I'm sure there are a lot of unscrupulous characters. Good luck.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I join my colleagues in their recommendation not to remove the nipples.  It seems your main concern is the possibility of recurrence after gyne surgery.  Actually, recurrence is an extremely remote possibility.

Remember, we are not treating cancer, where you are trying to remove all the breast tissue, particularly that which resides in and under the nipple areas.

Yes, you may find a surgeon somewhere who would agree to remove your nipples.  Just keep in mind that a panel of surgeons who have considerable expertise in gyne surgery have all concurred that they would not do so. But, make your own decision.

Food for thought!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline mr2short91

• Posting Member
Obviously ideally I would only prefer to be in the care of only the highest of experienced practitioners.  I understand the "old school" mentality which many of the expert surgeons on here share because many of you were trained in a different day and age.  The fact remains that the definition of beauty is ever evolving and what one considers to be the ideal body image even as recent as 20 years ago may not be the same now.  I understand that it may not be your personal idea of being beautiful or perfect but if there is no adverse consequence other than it not be mainstream society's ideal view of the perfect body, I'm not sure why a respected and experienced surgeon couldn't do it.

Isn't cosmetic surgery mostly about making the client happier with their bodily appearance?  I guess I just dont understand why this would be frowned upon if there is no additional health risk.  I do absolutely respect all you opinions and years of experience and knowledge, I guess I'm just looking for a more definitive reason other than "we wont do it because it doesnt look correct".

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
It's not just that "it won't look right". You would end up with a scar, which would have a significant chance of being noticeable and something you would not like. Once you have a scar you can't get rid of it. maybe you should consider a expertly creative tattoo that "hides" your nipples. Just another option. Good luck.

Offline mr2short91

• Posting Member
Scars are ok and easily hideable under ink.  I've got lots of scars, even paid for some of them.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024