Author Topic: Pain in my nipples  (Read 1461 times)

Offline chestyoldman

• Silver Member
I am experiencing some tenderness in my nipples and I wonder if it is normal or something I should see a doctor about.  It is not a surface-level pain.  It is deeper than that. Sometimes in the normal course of a day I will bump a breast against something and it will cause a sharp pain under my nipples.  Also, sometimes it hurts to press in on my nipples.  I have found that sometimes after the initial pain from pressing them, continuing to press in on them and massaging them causes the pain to go away.  The tenderness seems to be worse on some days than on others.  Thankfully, I do not feel any lumps when I press on them.

Having breasts is fairly new to me, so I'm still getting acquainted with them. Thanks for your help.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Pain or tenderness may be a symptom of breast growth or enlargement.  If you are not in puberty (when these symptoms are common), then you should be evaluated by your physician.  Sometimes it may be a side effect of any medication or OTC's you may be taking.  At other times, it may be due to hormone problems.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline chestyoldman

• Silver Member
Thank you, Dr. Jacobs.  I'm way past puberty (64), so I'll bring it up with my doctor.  It sounds like it's probably not anything to be concerned about.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
This may also occur in older men when their testosterone naturally drops off and their estrogen begins to predominate -- resulting in some growth of the breasts.  If this is true, then there is probably nothing to worry about.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024