Author Topic: Tethering  (Read 2020 times)

Offline hooch1961

• Posting Member
This is question to the Doctors. I had surgery 14 months ago and I have bad tethering on my chest now both sides never had a lot of fat taken 84 one side 88 other.what can I do to have this rectified. 

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It would be helpful if you could post a few photos of your situation.

To the surgeon, tethering means that the undersurface of the skin has attached itself to the underlying tissues so that there is a pulling effect whenever the arm is moved.  If this is the case, then no matter how little was removed, it may have been too much.  You need a layer of intact fat under the skin to provide a gliding layer for the skin to move over muscle, etc.

You might want to return to your surgeon for a discussion or consider seeking another opinion from a gyne expert in your area.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline hooch1961

• Posting Member
Hi doc. So you are saying that I need some fat grafting?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Tethering requires release of the tether and then the placement of fat tissue in-between the two raw surfaces.  That tissue can be fat grafts or fat flaps (my preferred method).

Dr Jacobs

Offline hooch1961

• Posting Member
Can you give me a ball park figure if I come to you please.what you actually do during the procedure and time it takes. Also healing time.

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by tethering. If it is a band like feeling or visible cords, you can massage like crazy, possibly have some steroid injections, or see a physical therapist who might be able to perform ultrasound, or iontophoresis.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline hooch1961

• Posting Member
It's exactly the way dr jacobs described it.when I raise my arms up the muscles pull the chest in.

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
I think it really depends on how severe it is and exactly what it looks like. Not having photos makes it difficult to say much more. At 14 months after surgery I doubt that steroids are the right answer and could potentially make it worse - so be careful.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024