Author Topic: Cipro  (Read 2310 times)

Offline fguss01

• Bronze Member
Doctors,
I started with Gyne in 2012 and was operated on by Dr K in London late 2015.

The operation was a complete success and exceeded my wildest dreams as although my Gyne was still very sore at the time (and therefore active) I have had no tissue regrowth - all I get is a little soreness if I drink Beer rather than Red Wine.

So, the Gyne is all good - however I have a current flare-up of Prostatitis which was last treated with Cipro around 6 years ago  - I have been prescribed a 28 day course 2 x 500mg and although the UK PIL does not list Gyne as a potential side effect I see that it is listed on some of the other patient information leaflets on the net.

Is it possible/likely for Cipro to cause Gyne on its own - I don't take any other meds.

My Gyne was caused in the first instance I believe by Motilium which results in very high levels of male prolactin I believe.

Thanks for any help you can give, hormone panel all perfectly stable and normal range at this time.
Best regards,
Fguss01

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
It is a rare side effect but there is an association between cipro and gynecomastia.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline fguss01

• Bronze Member
Thanks for the reply Dr. Pensler, it's a difficult one as Prostatitis is really unpleasant but there again so is Gyne!

There are other antibiotics of course but none so effective as getting into the prostate.

Offline fguss01

• Bronze Member
It is a rare side effect but there is an association between cipro and gynecomastia.

The UK treatment guidelines also permit the use of Ofloxacin which I now have a script for, I can't find any reference to a link between this drug and gyne on the net although I appreciate it is another quinolone.

Do the doctors have a view on this wrt Gynecomastia?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I have never seen or heard of a patient who developed gynecomastia after a short treatment with Cipro or other quinolone.

Most times, antibiotics are prescribed for a brief period of time -- usually 7-10 days.  One would not expect gyne to develop during such a short course of treatment.

Sometimes we all get too excited about things which are exceedingly rare.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline fguss01

• Bronze Member
Doctors,
Thanks both, have started the antibiotics and will report back.
Best regards.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago

The UK treatment guidelines also permit the use of Ofloxacin which I now have a script for, I can't find any reference to a link between this drug and gyne on the net although I appreciate it is another quinolone.

Do the doctors have a view on this wrt Gynecomastia?
I am not aware of any correlation.

Offline fguss01

• Bronze Member
Update.

I took a single Cipro x500mg a week ago and within 24 hours had the familiar feelings of underarm heat and a rash on my chest, both of which I had previously experienced with with high E2.

I did not take any more Cipro.

Currently awaiting blood results for Test, E2, SHBG, PRL, LH and FSH to discuss with my Endo.

Cipro inhibits P450 enzyme CYP1A2 in the liver so elevated E2 is no surprise, what does surprise me though is that the effect continues after having stopped the Cipro which has an elimination half life of 6hours.

Weirdly the Prostatitis pain has all but disappeared.

Thanks for any insights, I am hoping that the Cipro has just temporarily knocked my hepatic function and that normal E2 levels will resume soon (I was midpoint at 80 on as scale of 10-150 prior to tkaiong the Cipro.)
Thanks for any comment etc.

Offline fguss01

• Bronze Member
For the avoidance of doubt the decision to take the cipro was clearly mine alone and I am merely looking for further insights as to the length of time/probability of normal E2 clearance resuming.
Thanks.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024