Author Topic: Concentric skin removal  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Alpha90210

• Posting Member
I have more of an excess skin issue and minimal gland.
To keep it simple, do any doctors here perform skin removal through concentric skin circles? Let me know and I will pm you. The discussion can be furthered from there.
All funding ready, trying to move ahead quickly.
If you have any other methods of skin removal with minimal scarring, let me know as well.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Why don't you post some photos?

Just FYI, I have never needed to perform the excision that you describe -- properly performed gyne surgery usually allows for spontaneous shrinkage of the areolar diameter. And the skin tightens as well.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Alpha90210

• Posting Member
1) The issue is not the areolar. It is the axillar fold and sag of the skin anteriorly such that the nipple is about 1.5 cm below the lower pec line. Experienced surgeons are recommending a massive dermatolipectomy with free nipple graft, the scars of which are unacceptable. I have seen concentric skin removal as an alternative with good results.
2) I already emailed you pictures but you said I would have to come in for an exam without any further comment. Im not posting pictures of myself like that on the internet freely.

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
It sounds like experienced surgeons who have examined you have given their recommendation; you just don't like it.  I often have to turn away patients who need dermolipectomy with free nipple grafting but refuse it.  Believe me, when there is that much excess skin, the result looks much better after dermolipectomy and free nipple grafting when compared with removal of concentric rings of skin.
Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline Alpha90210

• Posting Member
Dr. Pope, indeed I consulted with you. 
Can you tell me how long I would be out of heavy benching in the gym? And if there are any methods to remove the scars afterwards?

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Didn't realize you were my patient since guys use an alias on this forum.  You need to refrain from upper body weights for 6 weeks.  And there are a number of scar preparations that really help scars fade.  Some people tend to make thicker scars than others.  If caught early, hypertrophic scars can be treated with steroid injections.
Dr. Pope, MD

Offline Alpha90210

• Posting Member
Im still asking if any other surgeons perform that procedure?
Dealing with excess skin without a free nipple graft. Minimal scarring such as concentric skin removal.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Depending on the extent of skin laxity and excess and a few other factors, I do the larger excision with a scar under the breast in the infra-mammary fold, but rather than doing a free nipple graft, I keep the nipple attached to a small "inferior pedicle" and bring the nipple through an appropriately placed hole on each side of the chest.  There is some risk to this in terms of nipple survival, but thus far, I've not lost any nipples using this procedure.  Depending on your skin type and scarring, the scars are acceptable, and from your description, the appearance will be better than if you try to do it with a peri-areolar ("concentric") approach. Pictures would be useful to address this, but I saw your earlier comment.  As for training, barring any complications, I allow my patients to begin resistance training at two weeks post-op but no direct chest exercises before 4 weeks.  
Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
I do think that at times skin should be removed from around the areola. It is called a peri-areolar skin reduction and must be done conservatively or else you can end up having a lot of distortion. Be careful.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024