Author Topic: Experience with raised incision scars  (Read 1272 times)

Offline PhilippW97

• Posting Member
Hello Docs,
did you ever have to treat raised incision scars which were a bit thick and more apparent ? If so, how did you do it and did you get them flat ?

Thanks 

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Hypertrophic scars, which are the most common cause I've encountered for bad scars with this surgery, occurs relatively rarely, and in most cases can be  managed with topical agents (silicone gel products, Cordran tape or other topical corticosteroid options, or Kenalog injection if it fails to respond to less invasive measures.  You don't comment on how recent your surgery was, but in most cases, these scars resolve with time and with the interventions described.  If the raised issue is the result of a surgical problem (poorly sutured wound, primarily), then scar revision would be appropriate. 
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline PhilippW97

• Posting Member
Hypertrophic scars, which are the most common cause I've encountered for bad scars with this surgery, occurs relatively rarely, and in most cases can be  managed with topical agents (silicone gel products, Cordran tape or other topical corticosteroid options, or Kenalog injection if it fails to respond to less invasive measures.  You don't comment on how recent your surgery was, but in most cases, these scars resolve with time and with the interventions described.  If the raised issue is the result of a surgical problem (poorly sutured wound, primarily), then scar revision would be appropriate.

Thank you for your answer. I am now 14 months post op. My scar on the left side is almost completely flat whereas the right side is a bit raised. I'm using silicone scar sheeting for 2 months now and it helped to soften and flatten it already a bit. Is there hope that the scar will continue flatten at 14 months post ?

Regards

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
It can continue to flatten with time and therapy. If not, your surgeon might consider a corticosteroid injection, but this isn't required very often. 

Offline PhilippW97

• Posting Member
It can continue to flatten with time and therapy. If not, your surgeon might consider a corticosteroid injection, but this isn't required very often.

Alright. If the cortisone will be injected with a small needle into the scar, is there a risk of the cortisone getting into the areola ?

Regards

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024