Author Topic: 7 Weeks Post Op - Depressed  (Read 979 times)

Offline User127

• Posting Member
Hi all, long time watcher, rarely post on the site. I am 7 weeks post op, I had lipo and gland excision on what I was told was mild gyno. Like many others before, 5 weeks of amazing results. However, the last 2 weeks or so, puffy nipples starting to poke through the t shirt like many others! My question is this: 
If this is scar tissue, can it actually go away on its on with massage? Or are cortisone injections/revision surgery necessary? I have lost faith in my surgeon, who has failed to reply to my last email on the matter. He was very quick to suggest a revision surgery, although j was really happy with my results up until now. I am moving to Australia in a few weeks, so I am not sure what to do about it :/
Also, a huge thank you to Dr. Jacobs, who is clearly a wonderful asset to this site!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Thanks for your kind words!

Actually, at 7 weeks one should never even think of a revision.  One must wait for at least 5-6 months before considering that.

Your story may indeed be the beginning of scar tissue formation under the areolas.  Or, it could be that there was generalized swelling that has now begun to subside, leaving what appears to be puffy nipples but in reality may be inadequate gland removal during the initial surgery.  Only time will tell.  You should, however, request the operative report from your surgeon.  It should detail whether gland was excised under the areolas.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs

Be patient.
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline User127

• Posting Member
Thank you for your reply Dr. Jacobs. I can confirm that the surgeon removed gland from both sides, I woke up with them beside me on my locker on a tray! I didn't have a whole lot of swelling. I am just worried about if it is possibly gland 're growing now? Could gland grow back that quick? Does scar tissue feel similar to gland?! Thank you for your feedback! 

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Gland very rarely re-grows -- but scar tissue can grow and sometimes fairly rapidly.

There is no way one can differentiate scar tissue from gland simply by feeling for it.  Even I cannot tell the difference despite years of experience.

Best to return to your surgeon to discuss the issue.  Sometimes, early intervention with a minimal dose of cortisone can head off a bigger problem down the road.

Dr Jacobs

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
I agree with Dr. Jacobs. It would be best to return to your surgeon before you leave the country. Your surgeon knows best what was done and the ability of a steroid injection to work. Definitely get the operative report just in case you need to see another surgeon in Australia
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024