Author Topic: Is this gyno?  (Read 804 times)

Offline Towaberg

Hi, I've struggled with that I think is Gyno since I was about 17 years old(im on my late 20's now),  I went to my family doctor a few months ago and she said I just need to lose weight, and it should all go away. She touched my chest and said she can't feel anything but fat behind my nipples, no hard mass. I do feel a hard mass behind the nipples but for some reason she didnt.
I attached 3 pictures, the first 2 were a few years ago, I was about 15 kg lighter, you can see puffy nipples persisted even when I lost weight.

3rd and last picture is recent, I am around 95 kgs, 176 cm right now.
What should I do in this case? should I go to a different family doctor? or straight to surgeon? recommendations are very appreciated.
How severe is my gyno if that is what I have? are there stages? what kind of procedure would be recommended? Thanks!

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
It looks like you have mild gynecomastia. If you still have puffy nipples at a healthy weight that you can maintain, surgery would be able to help. Many times gynecomastia won't be felt as a "hard mass". It usually feels simply as a broad area of thickening.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 08:14:08 PM by Dr. Schuster »
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I agree that you have mild gynecomastia. Weight loss makes it look a bit better, but if you're still not satisfied with the appearance, then surgery would correct that. If you have a procedure, it should include both liposuction and excision of tissue under the nipple, as you've already proven that you worsen with increased body fat, and that there's still something there when you're leaner.  Too often, surgeons who do not treat gynecomastia regularly will try to treat you with only liposuction OR excision (arguing that you have a mild case), but you would clearly benefit from a procedure including both techniques. 
Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery