Author Topic: Does seroma mess up the healing process?  (Read 855 times)

Offline ajiet

• Posting Member
Had a minor case of puffy nipples and now I am 7 weeks post gyno surgery. The left side got seroma soon after removing compression dressing on 6th day. This seroma continued for 5 weeks and a total of approximately 150cc of fluid was drained for this period before it stopped coming. Now I feel that side of chest as fatty, could be fat or swelling I don't know but it is much bigger in size than the other side. The nipple looks good when stimulated but folds in when normal, is that bcz of this swelling? I feel a chewing gum/rubber like mass in the swelled area, could this be scar tissue or a just the retained fluid in the tissues?
Not at all a good feeling at this time as both the chests look assymetric. My hemoglobin level prior surgery was 15 which is 12.5 post surgery. Is it normal to bleed this much in a gyno surgery?
Not seen the PS after 4th week because I could manage the seroma at my GP.
Your guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
If you develop a chronic seroma, it would keep filling up with fluid, but that fluid would be obvious and there are things to do to try and eliminate that space. Alternatively, if you had a little bleeding that led to the seroma, I've found that sometimes there's some post-op swelling that might benefit from Kenalog injections to bring down the swelling.  Your surgeon should be able to assess that for you. 
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
A seroma can certainly delay your healing and final results especially if not treated appropriately. It would be worth it to go back to our plastic surgeon to make sure all is well.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024