Author Topic: How to differentiate between fat and swelling. Laser treatment to reduce swellin  (Read 761 times)

Offline Gyno

Hi,
I am a 25yr old skinny male. I am 5'11"and weigh 60kg. It's been a month since i have had my gynecomastia surgery. The surgeon performed liposuction and removed the glans from the same incision. He did not cut the nipple to remove the gland. I wore the compression garment for 24 hours for the whole month. Now I see that the chest area is still not flat. I can't make out whether it is swelling or fat or gland. The surgeon says it is swelling and has asked me to take laser treatment (Venus freeze) to help reduce the swelling. However when I checked online this laser treatment is used to burn fat. Please can someone help me with how can I differentiate between fat, swelling and gland. Also is this laser treatment usually given to treat swelling.
Thank you. 

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
It's very early in your post-operative period, so swelling is the norm. Depending on the severity of your condition pre-operatively, I've found that occasionally, the sub-areolar remnant swells in the early post-op period to an amount equal to what was present pre-operatively, and until this resolves, the nipple may still seem puffy. If this persists beyond a reasonable period, I'll sometimes use a Kenalog injection to settle it down. 
But at 4 weeks out, I'm not sure that any special treatment is required. If you have persistent fat or gland present, nothing other than excision will impact that. I'm not familiar with the use of the Venus Freeze device in a situation like this.  You should discuss this with your surgeon and ask for clarification of things you're not sure of. 
Posting some photos might be helpful. 
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery