Author Topic: 2 weeks post op - exercise?  (Read 915 times)

Offline rbn01

• Posting Member
Hello all,

2 weeks post op today! Going to hop back on the stationary bike. Not vigorously but I want to get the blood flowing a bit - wise or should I avoid? Per my surgeon, mild cardio is OK at this point. I have been walking moderately almost daily.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 02:25:39 PM by rbn01 »

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I generally restrict exercise for one month post op.  Reason?  Any exercise can raise your blood pressure which in turn can result in some bleeding.  It can also result in continued swelling.  I tend to be conservative -- other surgeons may have a different point of view.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
Listen to your surgeon.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
You should always address anything you do with the surgeon since he or she knows exactly what was done. I deal with many fitness enthusiasts and bodybuilders in my practice, and knowing this community, I've tailored what I do to them. As a result, I allow my patients to do cardio one week after surgery and advance that as they're comfortable, always wearing their compression.  After two weeks, I allow for resistance exercise except direct chest exercises, and initially, they're instructed to avoid overhead exercises.  They can add in overhead by 3 weeks and add in chest at 4 weeks. At all points, they are advised to listen to their bodies and NOT do the things that don't feel good.  

This may be an aggressive approach, but this group of patients can be an extra challenge, since they often have their own ideas about physiology, healing, exercise and so on.  If I were to tell them they couldn't work out for 4 to 6 weeks, at least a few of them would be in the gym after a couple days, convinced that they knew better and that their bodies are different. So I'm very specific with my recommendations, and taking this approach, I've had NO issues with delayed bleeding or fluid collections.  

Again, however, you should consult your surgeon before advancing your activity. 
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024