Author Topic: Steroid Injection Timeline  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Fisher

• Posting Member
I am now 6 months post op from a direct incision and had a diluted injection into scar tissue a week ago. I am not seeing any changes yet and was wondering how long it can take to start softening the scar? Or is there a general timeline after injections before I would know if another is needed? 

I had an injection on the other side over 6 weeks ago, and I felt like I had results starting within 3 days and am now completely satisfied on that side. 

Thanks for any replies in advance. 

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Steroid injections may have some impact early on, but that early response is usually a decrease in pain or itching if those are a part of the picture.  The softening and shrinking typically takes longer, and I advise patients that the effect occurs over 4 to 6 weeks, and I can repeat the treatment after 6 weeks. 
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
When I do steroid injections for post-op scar tissue, I tell my patients not to expect any changes for 3-7 days.  The medication is a timed-release and works over a period of six weeks.  I tell them to return after eight weeks to consider another injection if needed.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Fisher

• Posting Member
Thank you both for the replies. I do actually feel a little improvement today.  All I can do is wait now. 

Is massage still recommended after an injection or would that flush the medication out of the scar area? 

Thanks 

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
It generally takes 6-8 weeks. I would not repeat injections any closer together.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I'm a fan of massage. I encourage my patients to massage the area to help avoid any skin tethering as the healing process goes forward, and it also helps with resolution of the swelling and hard spots.  It shouldn't be done in a way that's painful and there may be circumstances that would impact timing and so on, so you should consult your surgeon. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024