Author Topic: How important is it to see a GP?  (Read 1207 times)

Offline JohannK

• Silver Member
First off, I'm not looking to get surgery.  Apart from cost, I just don't like the idea of having a surgeon change my appearance (I know some will disagree, but that's how I feel).

Anyway.  I'm now almost 27, and I've had gyne for the last 3 years or so.  Not obese by any standard, but I do have a bit of extra weight (68-70kg, 182cm, not muscular).  I haven't noticed an increase in the size of my bust recently, but I did notice the glands seem to have gotten significantly larger these last few months.  No tenderness, apart from the usual nipple sensitivity.  Last I measured I was 77/93 to 78/94 cm.

Now regarding whether I should see a doctor about it.  I know he'll want blood tests, but will it really be of that much use?  As I have it, taking hormones can have side effects (also maybe of note, I started going bald at 16, while I assume it's not a risk yet I have it that it can indicate a higher risk of problems when I get older (either high DHT or high sensitivity to it)).  I've also always been on the hairy side for my age.  I actually look about 10 years older without a hat, while looking younger (about 5 years last I heard) with a hat.  So yes, I'm significantly bald.

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
It's never a bad idea to see your GP and get some blood work. I don't routinely order tests on gus who develop their gynecomastia during puberty and then it remains pretty stable. This is the overwhelming majority and termed idiopathic gynecomastia. When gynecomastia develops later in life, or if the gynecomastia is actively getting worse I will order standard screening blood work. This should include estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, LH, FSH, Prolactin, betaHcG, thyroid and liver function screen. 
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
The majority of my patients do not need to  see a GP prior to surgery. Having said that a significant acute change could be due to a problem that would benefit from medical attention. If as you state "First off, I'm not looking to get surgery.  Apart from cost, I just don't like the idea of having a surgeon change my appearance (I know some will disagree, but that's how I feel)." 

You should not have surgery. I am a bit puzzled as to why you would write a post on a surgical forum but in any case that is an issue for another day.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline JohannK

• Silver Member
I just thought I'd post a quick reply.  While I haven't replied previously, I did read the opinions/advice here, and value them as such.

Dr. Pensler, I'm mostly active in the acceptance forum, I just posted here regarding seeing a GP since the glands obviously grew.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024