Author Topic: Hydrocortisone  (Read 502 times)

Offline Fisher

• Posting Member
I had direct excision close to 18 months ago and had a decent amount of scar tissue afterwards. I ended receiving 2 rounds of steroid injections over the first year which greatly reduced the scars, but still have dime size left. My doctor will not inject over 2 times, so was wondering if I used hydrocortisone for a few weeks if this would help with the remaining scar \bumps directly under the skin? I had great results the first month post surgery and am now about break even with where I originally started due to the remaining scar tissue.

Also, If I were to consult another Dr for a third round of injections, would I consult a dermatologist or another PS?

Thanks in advance

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
If the scar lumps are underneath the skin, I don't think hydrocortisone will work. It is too weak and will not really penetrate beneath the skin. There is really not a limit as too how many times the steroid (Kenelog) can be injected but I don't inject any more frequently than every 6-8 weeks. Also there is no reason to continue if there is not any improvement.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024