Author Topic: Did my surgeon mess up? what should I do now?  (Read 864 times)

Offline NewEnglandGuy

Hi Everyone!

New to the forms.

I am 6"1 and always been around 175lbs in good shape.

I developed gyno from supplements I was on. It came on quickly, around fall last year. I had it confirmed Gyno by a mammogram. I found a plastic surgeon online that does a lot in my area of New England. I told the Dr. upon the first meeting I had developed this from supplements and it was confirmed via mammogram. We had planned to cut and lipo to remove, all the papers I had signed said this leading up to surgery. Day of he says we will only be doing a type of Lipo due to him having great results on the past few procedures. Anyways after the 1st month follow up I expressed my concerns as I noticed a mushy on even lump and some pain..the same pain I was experiencing prior to the surgery. He stated massage heavily as its scar tissue. We are now 4 months out and the pain is still there and so is the lump. It's not as visible through shirts anymore as it was prior but shirt off you can see the nipple looks stretched and it pokes out.

Did he screw up and should have cut it out as well? or could this really be scar tissue?

What do most patients do in this situation? have revision surgery, then ask for a credit of 50% of the first procedure since it was done wrong? or do most ask for 100% back? or do you leave, go to a new surgeon and sue for money back, cost of new procedure and damages for now having to take an additional 2 weeks off from work?

I am seeing him again Thursday 2 weeks earlier than my 5 month follow up as i expressed my concerns about the pain. The pain sort of feels like having a deep cyst. It sometimes aches and i feel some pain going down stairs.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You are correct in returning to your surgeon for evaluation and discussion.  In my experience, it takes longer than one month for scar tissue to develop after surgery and that might indicate that some residual tissue was left.

Most plastic surgeons have some type of revision policy -- you might inquire of your surgeon's policy.  Mine is to provide free revision surgery within one year, subject to my agreement with the patient, and to charge only for the anesthesia and facility fee.

Good luck.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
Unsatisfactory results does not mean that your surgeon screwed up. It is difficult to get perfect results in every case. Recognizing this, most surgeons have a revision policy which provides for further correction/revision without an additional surgeon charge. Though you should expect to pay full fare for all facility and anesthesia fees. i suggest discussing this possibility in a non threatening manner with your surgeon. Your surgeon probably want to have a happy patient with good results just as you do.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024