Author Topic: Compression Belt & Recovery  (Read 4237 times)

Offline Give me Life

• Gold Member
Hello:

I am thinking of going for a surgery but if anyone can help me with following question, will be apprecited.

1. For how long one has to wear compression belt? Is it very painful? Is wearing a compression belt at work is noticeable to others? Or it's better to take time off from work during that time?

2. I know recovery is different for each individual but what's the normal time? Not talking about scars to be gone but the time to up and running from surgery to go back to work again. Is it advisable to take 2-3 weeks off from work?

I am thinking for going for surgery in month of Sept with Dr. JCF. Any more advice?

Thanks a lot !!!
Surgery done on Sept 6th, 2006 with Dr. Fielding - Toronto. Not 100% cured but will get there for sure !!!
----------------------------------------------------

Revision done on December 7th, 2007. Let's hope for best !!!
-------------------------------------------

Dr. Fielding
Suite #401, 2425 Bloor Street West, Toronto

Tel: 416.766.88

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
GML.....

You should wear a compression garment for 2-3 weeks.

No, a tensor wrap/vest is not 'painful'.

A compression 'wrap/belt' might be noticeable to others. However, if you are concerned about being 'noticed', then I would suggest wearing a compression 'vest'.

Time away from work all depends on what you do for a living. If you have a 'desk' job, then 2-3 days would suffice. If you have a 'physical' (heavy lifting etc...) job, then I would strongly advise you to take at least 2 weeks (3-4 better) off of work.

John.
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Give me Life

• Gold Member
Thanks GB.

Yes, I have a very easy desk job. Full 8 hours on chair. No walking even. Lucky me ... isn't it?

Also, this west/belt has to be wear for full day or couple of hours a day? And what's the difference between both? And anyone has picture of belt/west?

I am thinking of taking 2 weeks off from work so that way I can hide the belt for a while.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

GML....

Yeah, if you can get the time off work, go for it my man. The rest will be beneficial for sure.

A compression 'vest' looks just like a t-shirt. A compression belt or wrap (check out my pics....) is basically a tesor wrap that you would use if you sprained your wrist/ankle but a bit bigger. I used a Dale Abdominal Binder. I highly recommend the Ab Binder.

You need to wear a compression garment continuously for at least the first week. Two weeks would be better. After that, just while you are sleeping for a week or two.

John.

Offline Give me Life

• Gold Member
Thanks Bambu for your help. I think you are the "inspiration" for booking my date with Dr. JCF. My big day is Sept 6th. Hope all go well. He is charging me $1800 + tax. I think that's the highest amount I am paying (as per posting here) but what the hack. If I get the freedom from 20 yrs of pain, this amount is nothing.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

GML....

Thanks so much for the kind words....

It is very gratifying to hear that I've been of some help to you.  :)

Yeah, $1800 is the highest that I've seen from Fielding. Like you say tho, it's a very small price to pay for peace of mind. Always assuming you achieve the results you are looking for.

John.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 11:52:39 AM by Bambu »

Offline buble

• Bronze Member
Dear Bambu

U seem to have a lot of experience here!  Can you give me the contact info for the doctor that did yours.  Also, have you heard of anyone doing these in Vancouver?  And last, do you have any pre/post op pix posted anywhere?  I'm really concerned about remaining scars.  Thanks a lot

Here's what mine look like :(

http://photos.yahoo.com/aaabsc
Surgery Date: Jan 9, 2007
Dr. H. Ukani, Vancouver, BC
Pre/post pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gynecomastia/

Offline Grandpa Bambu

buble....

Dr. J. Craig Fielding  M.D., F.R.C.S. (C)
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

2425 Bloor Street East
Suite #401
Toronto, Ontario
M6S 4W4

Tel. 416.766.8890

Yes, there are a few PS's in Vancouver that do gyne reduction surgeries. However, I do not recall their names at the moment...

Click on the 'Pics' link in my Sig at the bottom of my posts to view my pre-op and post-op pics....  ;)

John.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024