Author Topic: Had surgery yesterday with Dr. Lista  (Read 8033 times)

Offline PeterBateman

• Gold Member
Done.  I asked him to do some upper, and he said no problem but that it was mostly muscle and that majority was in middle and lower.  I told him I would like him to go through my nipples if there was any possibility of any gland remaining.  He said OK, and that 99% of the time he wouldn't have to do that.  When I woke up, I BELIEVE the nurse said he did end up going through  one nipple.  The nurse also I THINK said that 455 grams??? was taken out of one, and 650 something was taken out of the other.  I go back to see him today, so I'll know better what was done.  My mom who is an RN came with me, and she was thoroughly impressed with the whole setup, with Dr. Lista, the nurses, the professionalism etc.  I took tylenol 3's yesterday but as of today I'm not.  Really sore, but the vest holds it all in.  Some blood stain on the left but dried.  Sleeping sucks.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 01:12:06 AM by PeterBateman »

Offline braveboy

• Gold Member
  • formerly shyboy
Hey Pete great to here from you,your still alive(lol).It sounds like everything went well no complications except for the nipple, but i'll tell him to do the same if he has to,I go next Monday.Now it's time to heal ,can't wait to get some more details from you when your up to it.CONGADULATIONS.

Offline PeterBateman

• Gold Member
I'm back from day after visit.  Traffic was a bloody nightmare, ended up being 15 mins late.  He took the vest off, took off the bandages, and said look at your new chest.  I looked in the mirror and its totally flat (for now, I've read all the ups and down complaints)...he did NOT go through my nips, just the two holes like he said he'd 99% need to do.  looks like some stitches in them.  He told me to wash the vest now daily, and to shower once again.  and he said how he had a patient who recently strained his chest only a few days after his surgery and he developed a hematoma, so he stressed NO LIFTING OR EXERCISING for a week.  he said he took out a lot more than he had anticipated, and he expected excellent results based on what he saw.  that makes me feel better for sure.   He said I'm still swollen from the nipple down so it will go down even more over time.  no bruising at all...which is kind of odd, since Marx said he was purple etc.  so i'm just sore and constipated...thanks to the drugs.  

Offline braveboy

• Gold Member
  • formerly shyboy
great to hear that he did not have to go through the nipple.how long did  the procedure take,and how long in recovery?Did some one drive you there the next day?What about the anestesia?How do you feel can you get around.sorry for all the questions

Offline braveboy

• Gold Member
  • formerly shyboy
where from the GTA were you comeing from?

Offline PeterBateman

• Gold Member
Coming from burlington.  surgery took an hour.  recovery i'd say about an hour too.  if you want pain med after you wake up she said they have to keep you an extra half hour.  i got a ride there and back.  as soon as i got in the car, i was eating a granola bar.  ate normally once at home.  I'm just mindful not to use my chest - which is very hard to do at most everyday things...you'll see.  the anethesiologist was awesome, good guy, and put any questions i had for him at ease.  said to take three deep breaths, and that i'd be asleep in less than 15 seconds...third breath i went to sleep...no probs.  

Offline braveboy

• Gold Member
  • formerly shyboy
thanks Pete for answering my questions,I'm from Woodbridge.Do to think he took enough out to give you he results you are looking for.did he do upper chest and side of chest?how is yor recovery coming along.Any more bleeding?Did you have to buy anything for post op for better healing ttime?

Offline PeterBateman

• Gold Member
Hey, yes I think once the swelling goes down it will be just right.  He took out upper as I requested - and I can feel that he did, and I confirmed with him that he would take some out of the side too and he said yes.  Again, I can feel it there too.  Still no bruising, just really sore, but not painful.  All I can do is sit around so that sucks.  I bought a underarmour tshirt a month ago, with intentions of using while I washed the vest I got, or whatever.  Last night I wore the tshirt for a half hour while I washed it, so I recommend that as I want it ALWAYS compressed for the specified time period.  He took pictures just prior to the surgery, but I'm not sure if he will take some 'after' shots when I go to see him for the second post op visit next week.  Small drop of blood this a.m. on my left side.  Other than that dry, including after I showered last night.  I'll let you know.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 08:22:45 AM by PeterBateman »

Offline marx

• Bronze Member
Good to hear things went well and no bruising.  It is uncomfortable to sleep first week, but after that you get used to it.  On your week after visit, they will tell you to massage 3 times a day for 5 min each, rubbing in Arnica gel that they sell for $30.  You need to massage to break down scar tissue under the skin, which you can feel when you do it.  I find this is important because you don't ewant to be left with any permanent bumps under the skin from scar tissue.  When you sleep try to flip both sides so the swelling doesn't accumulate to one side.  

I still have a couple of hard swelling lumps that I hope will break down with the massaging.  Lista told me no worries about gravity eventually pulling on my post-op chest, as this size is due to swelling.  It has been getting better in the last week.  You go back to Lista for a 3rd visit one month after surgery so he can see progress from massaging.  

Offline PeterBateman

• Gold Member
Hey marx.  When is your chest not sore anymore? Or is it still?  Is the arnica gel rubbed into the whole chest, or just the two holes he made?  My whole chest is swollen I can feel it...is that what you mean?  I go Monday for my 'week' visit, even though its only been 4-5 days, as he is going away towards midweek.  3rd visit???  Man theres a lot of visits...I know what you mean about under your arms...mine were killing too until I adjusted them at his office.  Did yours shrink in the dryer?? Mine did I think...I think thats not helping it being too tight around my stomach area...

Offline marx

• Bronze Member
Your chest should stop being sore after 2 weeks.  I found bruising and swelling tends to drop to lower chest over time.  Purple and yellow bruising has been gone for a week now.  Now I have some normal bruising bottom of chest probably due to the hard massaging I do to break down the scar tissue.

Arnica goes all over chest.

No shrinking of vest for me.  I wash in cold for 20 min, then dry on high for 20 min.

I hope this big lumpy area below my chest on one side "breaks down".  The nurse firghtened me by saying that if scar tissue doesn't break down it could be permanent!

Offline PeterBateman

• Gold Member
the only sign of bruising i have is last night and today my chest is yellowish in majority of mid to lower areas.  i'm finding on day 4 post op, its starting to puff out a bit more than on day 2.  I'm not freaking about it or overly concerned about it right now, but still....I hope to God it flattens out entirely.  I'm leaving for my consult with him now, and I'll mention the tightness of my vest for sure, and also be spending $30 on arnica cream.  so how many days post op are you marx?

Offline braveboy

• Gold Member
  • formerly shyboy
hi Pete,at the 4-5 day mark would you be able to go back to work if you had to do office wok?and at this point would you be able to go out with friends and keep the operation a secret.

Offline PeterBateman

• Gold Member
Ya if you had to...I wouldn't want to really but you could no problem.  Dr. Lista stressed doing absolutely nothing for 7 days except sitting on your a$$, so while HAVING to go back to work is one thing, going out with friends I wouldn't do, especially since you spent 5G on it in the first place.

Offline marx

• Bronze Member
Pete - about 3 weeks post-op.  Swelling should go up in the next couple of weeks, then start subsiding.  I still have "hard" areas I would like to see go away.  I'll wait until Lista takes a look next visit before I start worrying.

Braveboy - yes it's possible to go back to work and go out, but why risk doing damage to the area?  Lista says to do nothing for a week.  Your body is healing and needs to rest.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024