Author Topic: Is There A Discussion Area for Getting Insurance Approval?  (Read 5092 times)

Offline Shiela1960

Hello all. I am brand new to the board. My 18 yrd old son has gynecomastia. We tried previously to get him approved, but was denied. I had even had lettera, documentaion, case studies, etc. A full ammo to send with the paperwork. Since my son did not want it done during his last year of school, we decided to wait until he graduates. We since have new insurance and are ready to try it again in an expidited manner. Is there a forum here for just insurance issues, insurance sample letters, any ideas would do. This has really slowed my son's confidence and social progression. I really am praying for an acceptance of surgery. We are in central Ohio and have really met a nice Dr. Dr. Haroon Aziz. he makes my son feel very comfortable, is pleasant, thorough in explaing, etc. Keep your fingers crossed! Any and all ideas are accepted!

Offline GrandMstrBud

• Bronze Member
It would be nice if insurance would cover any part of this procedure. I've done a lot of reading about gynecomastia but I don't know if it can lead to anything more or if there is any way to have this surgery be deemed necessary to get insurance companies to approve this procedure. I'm sure it's been tried before but it is certainly worth a try.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 12:36:44 AM by GrandMstrBud »

Offline xxxxxxxxxx

• Bronze Member
Nice to see you here,

There will always be good advice for you on this forum.
Let me first inform you that insurrence does not cover this. Unless you are willing to wage all out open-war on the insurrence company it will not get covered. If you have some contacts use them. It is the only way you can get surgery without going in your own pocket.

Another thing,
There are many surgeons accross the country. There are also great surgeons. One is Dr Bermant , another is Dr x. One is in virginia, the other is in /.

You have to SERIOUSLY consider at least talking to one.

This will cost you in total around $5000 dollars. It may seems like much to pay for a cosmetic operation but it's very important to your son.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 07:37:48 AM by cleanup »

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
We are in central Ohio and have really met a nice Dr. Dr. Haroon Aziz.

There is no mention of Gynecomastia Reduction Surgery on Dr. Aziz's Website. You should ask Dr. Aziz if he has ever done GRS. If he has, ask how frequently he performs the procedure.

Also... 'If', you do get insurance coverage, you may not be able to go to the PS who 'you' have selected. The insurance co. may want to send you to a PS of 'their' choosing...  A PS with little or no experience with
GRS   :-\    Just a thought...

To answer your question.... No. There is no separate forum discussing insurance issues... 
I guess the reason for this is that in the majority of cases, the answer from the insurance co. is NO:-\
So what would there be to 'discuss'?

However, if you would like to see such a board added, send Merle Yost (Site Owner) a Private Message in regards to this issue...

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline buble

• Bronze Member
I guess we're fortunate in Canada, since many surgeons can bill the excision and the hospital expenses to the government (medical insurance).  Just a thought ...
Surgery Date: Jan 9, 2007
Dr. H. Ukani, Vancouver, BC
Pre/post pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gynecomastia/

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Shiela,

At the top right of this page is a search line. Enter the word "insurance" and you will have an extract of every time the subject has come to the fore.

Good Luck!
Grandpa Dan

Offline JeepKuntry

• Posting Member
I really doubt that you will be approved for surgery.  Your son has already been denied by another carrier.  I'm not your insurance carrier, but I see them denying this due to a pre-existing condition.  Good luck to you.  You may have to bite the bullet and take out a loan for this.  My parents basically ignored my requests.  Years later I had the procedure done.  I'm happy with the results right now.  But I will say alot of people have to have revisions so keep that in mind.

cody sockeye

I've always wanted to live in Canada... :-\

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I've always wanted to live in Canada... :-\

Canada is the best country in the world to live!

Go Sens Go!!!

GB

Offline GrandMstrBud

• Bronze Member
I really doubt that you will be approved for surgery.  Your son has already been denied by another carrier.  I'm not your insurance carrier, but I see them denying this due to a pre-existing condition.  Good luck to you.  You may have to bite the bullet and take out a loan for this.  My parents basically ignored my requests.  Years later I had the procedure done.  I'm happy with the results right now.  But I will say alot of people have to have revisions so keep that in mind.

Revisions? Please explain what kind of revisions because I don't want to have the procedure and find out I have to do this every so many years.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I'm happy with the results right now.  But I will say alot of people have to have revisions so keep that in mind.

Have to have?  Or.....  Want to have?  There is a huge difference there dude...  ;)

What one person is not happy with, another may see it in a totally different light...

GB

Offline JeepKuntry

• Posting Member
Revisions are a fancy word for touch-ups.  Basically they have to go back in and do the procedure again.  It isn't near as in-depth as the initial procedure.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024