Author Topic: Push-ups; yes or no?  (Read 6008 times)

Offline theblues

• Bronze Member
Does doing push-ups and strenghtening your chest worsen gyne or does it make it better?

I'm not sure, one the one hand it could replace some of the fat in the moobs with muscles, but on the other hand, it could just push them out more. That's the last thing I want at this point.

What's the definite judgement on this?

Offline JeepKuntry

• Posting Member
You will hear alot of different answers.  I would think that push ups wouldn't be as bad as bench pressing, especially if it's more than your body weight. 

Offline Jackd

• Silver Member
The thought of making it worse puts me off right away.. that and the fact I'm too weak to actually do a push up  ;D :-\

I avoid all that stuff for fear of making it worse.

Offline Gone

• Bronze Member
Push-ups won't change the fat into muscle. It will build muscle under the fat, but it's not consuming energy enough to burn the fat away.

On the topic about making gyno worse or not: If you can't do any push-ups you are in a quite bad shape. So the first thing to do is to get in shape and forget the gynecomastia. You WILL feel better, when you are in better shape. I think men look better when they are in good shape and gyno is perhapas noticeable than when they are in bad shape and the gyno is hidden under the layers of fat.

So the answer to the question: Yes, you should do push-ups, it won't make it worse. You should also train other muscles as well.

Offline user name

• Posting Member
i dont see how building your chest up is going to make gyne more noticeable. i dont think pushups are going to build your chest up that much either.

Offline Gone

• Bronze Member
i dont see how building your chest up is going to make gyne more noticeable. i dont think pushups are going to build your chest up that much either.

If you have a large muscle under the gland and little fat on the chest, the nipple will protrude from the otherwise flat and firm chest.

edit: And you are correct on that the pushups won't give you big muscles.

Offline shen

• Posting Member
Push-ups wont give you BIG muscles, but they will develop muscles and tone.

I'm in the military, I've been doing push-ups for 6+ years. I have never seriously lifted or done weights, and I have a very toned/muscular upper body. All from push-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups. You can effectively workout and build muscles using your own body weight, how do you think they did it a couple hundred years ago without all these machines?

Offline Gone

• Bronze Member
You can effectively workout and build muscles using your own body weight, how do you think they did it a couple hundred years ago without all these machines?

There wasn't anything heavier than your own body back then to lift? :) But seriously, yes you can have good looking, fit body by only using your own weight to train.

Offline lucky

I'd say push-ups are fine, but I don't think they will reduce the gland tissue on your chest.  From my experience, sticking with cardio and weights for other parts of the body is a better strategy.  I recently (in the last 9 months) had been doing more bench press for the heck of it, to see what would happen, and I think it just adds more bulk to the chest... may make it more firm, but the mass is larger.  I quit that in a hurry.  In my opinion, we probably want our chest to be more proportionate to the rest of our physique - so work on curls, cardio, and squats.

Offline proxie

• Posting Member
Same here.  I have great arms, so most people discount my chest as being muscular too.  Still, these freaking droopy areolas are impossible to get rid of no matter how much cardio is done.  Surgery looks like the only option.  Squats are an excellent exercise for your legs.  As far as push-ups, I say go for it.  I would avoid bench press because of the mass it can put in on your chest sometimes making gyne look worse.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024