Author Topic: gyno or psuedo?  (Read 5110 times)

Offline steve172

• Posting Member
Hi Guys,

I have propecia induced something...i first noticed that I had puffier nipples and increased chest fat about 9 months ago (Although I have never had a rock hard chest or nipples for my entire life). I have never had any lumps or pain at all. I tried reducing propecia dosage but it didnt do anything. Have now been on Arimidex for 3 weeks and havent really seen any result (0.5 mg 3 times a week).

chest has not changed in 9 months

Had blood test done btw that suggested estradiol and prolactin are at normal levels (had these done a reduced propecia levels however)

I will try Tamoxifen after the adex as i have a script for that too but am wondering whether it will really do anything given estradiol is not out of normal range (170 pmol/L on a range of 50-220).

Should point out that started on 1.25mg / day of propecia for 2 years, then reduced to .625, then 0.25, now on 0.5 (seems to be best compromise)....maybe it was the 1.25mg that gave me gyno / psuedo gyno but lower dose ok??

Offline steve172

• Posting Member
another thing I should point out...when cold my chest looks 100% normal (has always been big from 15 years of hockey)...only when hot that the nipples puff.

DrBermant

Hi Guys,

I have propecia induced something...i first noticed that I had puffier nipples and increased chest fat about 9 months ago (Although I have never had a rock hard chest or nipples for my entire life). I have never had any lumps or pain at all. I tried reducing propecia dosage but it didnt do anything. Have now been on Arimidex for 3 weeks and havent really seen any result (0.5 mg 3 times a week).

chest has not changed in 9 months

Had blood test done btw that suggested estradiol and prolactin are at normal levels (had these done a reduced propecia levels however)

I will try Tamoxifen after the adex as i have a script for that too but am wondering whether it will really do anything given estradiol is not out of normal range (170 pmol/L on a range of 50-220).

Should point out that started on 1.25mg / day of propecia for 2 years, then reduced to .625, then 0.25, now on 0.5 (seems to be best compromise)....maybe it was the 1.25mg that gave me gyno / psuedo gyno but lower dose ok??

Most substances that can cause breast growth tend to stimulate the gland.

Unfortunately, there is fat that also can be stimulated to grow and it can be difficult to distinguish just what is causing the problem.  Gynecomastia male breasts can be fat, gland, or most commonly a combination of both.  Sometimes skin and sagging tissues can be a factor.  Pseudo Gynecomastia is supposed to be fat only gynecomastia.  The problem with that "classification" is that in almost every case of gynecomastia I have seen there is some component of gland.  This gland can be very small, but it is present almost all the time.  So do you have Pseudo gynecomastia when there is a 1%, 10%, 50%, or 90% deformity from fat?  Reality just does not work that way.

Defining the problem with photographs sometimes can help.  However, it is impossible to tell from photographs if the deformity is from fat or gland. The dynamic images, of my standard set of images can show a region that compresses differently.  Even clinical examination differentiation can be difficult.

Fat tends to be soft, gland tends to be firm.  Fingers of gland often dissect between fingers of fat.  Look at this drawing and move your mouse over the arrows.  However, gland can be soft and fat firm confusing the picture.  Gland tends to be located under the nipple and pinching pressure can sometimes tether to the nipple pulling it in.

another thing I should point out...when cold my chest looks 100% normal (has always been big from 15 years of hockey)...only when hot that the nipples puff.

There is a thin muscle just under the areola that, when stimulated, tends to flatten male nipples..  The problem is that it is difficult to keep this muscle in the state of constant stimulation.

Getting the problem stabilized, breasts to stop growing minimizes chances of recurrence after surgery.  Sometimes stopping the stimulating substance helps.  I have sculpted many men after breast growth from such medications.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline steve172

• Posting Member
Thanks Doc,

I note that finasteride (proscar / propecia) are not on your list of possible causes...may want to update.

really not in the surgery boat yet, even when puffed they dont look all that bad (I keep feeling but there is just no gland / lump / fibre feeling under there at all.

Think I'll try to get in some kind of jedi / zen state for a while and just try to keep those muscles tensed. (and try a bout of tamoxifen)

DrBermant

Thanks Doc,

I note that finasteride (proscar / propecia) are not on your list of possible causes...may want to update.

really not in the surgery boat yet, even when puffed they dont look all that bad (I keep feeling but there is just no gland / lump / fibre feeling under there at all.

Think I'll try to get in some kind of jedi / zen state for a while and just try to keep those muscles tensed. (and try a bout of tamoxifen)

Thank you, I updated that page with a number of medications.

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024