Author Topic: PROPECIA AND GYNE  (Read 4440 times)

Offline ScotlandGuy

• Posting Member
I was wondering, I am aware that Propecia (or Proscar) has a small possibilty of increasing breast size in men.  I have gyne, but have had a hormone test and everything is normal.  If I took Propecia would I be more likely than a man without gyne to worsen my gyne or, since my hormone levels are normal, would I have equally as low a chance of developing larger breasts due to the taking of Propecia in comparison to a man without gyne?  Thanks a lot!

Offline ScotlandGuy

• Posting Member
Thanks for the reply, yeah I was aware that it does potentially increase chances of Gynecomastia happening, but I was really just wondering if I were actually more likely than a man who has never experienced Gynecomastia to develop it further with the use of Propecia, does anyone have any ideas?

Offline State_Property

• Posting Member
no i don't beleive that the chance of ur breasts getting larger are greater then any1 elses, ive been taking it for 3 months good results
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 12:39:15 PM by State_Property »

Offline steve172

• Posting Member
I never had signs of gyno before i started propecia....now have puffy nipples and some chest fat (it would hardly be noticable but already had big pecs which makes it look worse.

My advice would be to get your T / E levels checked BEFORE you go on propecia, you can then occaionally monitor them to see if it is causing you problems.

Also, I do fine on .33mg/day (dont need a full 1 mg tablet)...my theory is the lower the dosage, the less chance of sides.

Offline State_Property

• Posting Member
his first post said his hormone check came back normal.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
We have had many men contact this site regarding Gynecomastia which developed after using Finasteride.

Obviously we do not hear from those who have not had a problem so the percentage of risk is impossible to assess.

We have also heard from  a few men who suffered hypogonadism after using Finasteride. Here too, no statistical figures.

Even without hard statistics, it would seem the the likelyhood of Gynecomastia or sexual side effects may be under-reported in the drugs side-effect profile.

The concerns are great enough that I seriously would avoid this drug unless it was needed for a prostate problem where the potential benefits outweigh the potential risks.
Grandpa Dan

Offline ScotlandGuy

• Posting Member
Hey thanks for the replies, sorry I haven't been on in a couple weeks, I was on holiday.  I'm 50/50 on using Propecia right now. Basically I reckon that I wouldn't be at any more risk of the side effects, but I still fear the side effects.  My hormone levels are fine right now, and from what I understand only 2% of people experience side effectd and the majority of those disappear when the drug isnt used anymore.  The problem is it's quite a new drug to be used for hairloss and I get the feeling that when more studies are done it may turn out there are a lot of people who actually get permanent side effects.  I guess I just gotta decide if keeping my hair/regrowing some of it is worth the risk.

Offline puff916

• Posting Member
I had a perfect flat chest no puffy nips...started taking 1 mg of propecia....and now I am a member of this forum...how lovely is that.  It gave me a slightly flabby chest with puffy nips.  I stopped taking it...my thang is now is...stay in shape and embrace the baldness.

Offline spaceace

• Bronze Member
If you're curious about sides from propecia, just visit www.propeciahelp.com

There you can read the personal accounts of what finasteride has done to many.  Also, visit www.hairlosstalk.com and go to the sideeffects sub-forum. 

Some of the most forward-thinking endocrinologists who are leaders in their field, including Dr. Shippen and Dr. Carruthers, are vehemently against the use of finasteride because it can sometimes lead to secondary hypogonadism. 

Instead, I would contact one of these physicans and speak to them about topical non-systemic alternatives which they have perscibed in the past to their patients. 

PM me if you would like more info as I am a patient of Dr. Shippen.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024