Author Topic: Scheduled Surgery for July, Friday the 13th.  (Read 8151 times)

Offline fiXXXer

• Bronze Member
After being a member of this forum, and realizing the condition that is gynecomastia, for over a year, I have finally scheduled a date for my gynecomastia surgery.

Met with a plastic surgeon by the name of Larry H. Lickstein at The Cosmetic Surgery Center of Maryland today, and I have scheduled my surgery with him for Friday the 13th, 8 days from now.

At first, I thought this guy was blowing me off and rushing me, but that turned out to not be the case.  He recommended only liposuction in the beginning, but I told him that I would prefer a combination of both liposuction and excision, and he agreed.  The operation will be carried out under general anesthesia and is costing me $6,230.

I am so nervous.  I could have even had the surgery done on Monday the 9th, but I don't think that was enough time to prepare.

He told me that, with excision, I will have to use drains for about a week.  How bothersome/painful are these?  What if they get pulled on and rip the skin?  He also said that they make the incision around the nipple...  Does that mean that they will be cutting the nipple completely off, and then reattaching it, or only cutting along the edge, leaving most of it attached?

Yeah, I'm scared.
Facing what consumes you is the only way to be free!

Offline matthew1

• Gold Member
After being a member of this forum, and realizing the condition that is gynecomastia, for over a year, I have finally scheduled a date for my gynecomastia surgery.

Met with a plastic surgeon by the name of Larry H. Lickstein at The Cosmetic Surgery Center of Maryland today, and I have scheduled my surgery with him for Friday the 13th, 8 days from now.

At first, I thought this guy was blowing me off and rushing me, but that turned out to not be the case.  He recommended only liposuction in the beginning, but I told him that I would prefer a combination of both liposuction and excision, and he agreed.  The operation will be carried out under general anesthesia and is costing me $6,230.

I am so nervous.  I could have even had the surgery done on Monday the 9th, but I don't think that was enough time to prepare.

He told me that, with excision, I will have to use drains for about a week.  How bothersome/painful are these?  What if they get pulled on and rip the skin?  He also said that they make the incision around the nipple...  Does that mean that they will be cutting the nipple completely off, and then reattaching it, or only cutting along the edge, leaving most of it attached?

Yeah, I'm scared.

Kyle, I can not answer your medical question , but I am sure they are not cutting off nipple completely.
            I am in Maryland also and visited the  office  you  spoke of and did not feel comfortable with them.  After reading these  boards   for a month  or so  I have decided to go to VA  and go with DR Bermant, I have  my first consult in  a couple weeks.

Offline fiXXXer

• Bronze Member
Why didn't you feel comfortable with them?  I checked out Dr. Bermant's site, but he is a little bit too far away.  I'd have trouble finding someone to take off of work and drive up there and back with me.

Offline matthew1

• Gold Member
Why didn't you feel comfortable with them?  I checked out Dr. Bermant's site, but he is a little bit too far away.  I'd have trouble finding someone to take off of work and drive up there and back with me.
kyle, I  do not think lipo alone is enough and that what  your doc wanted to do.  I went to another doc in Bethesda and told them no  thanks and said I was going with Dr Bermant and this was there reply . I XXXXXout drs name ,  I dont want to start a  pissing match here. I left Bermants name  because he  comes in this forum

their reply as follows
hi Matt,
i looked at Dr. Bermants website .   Dr. XXXXXX does the Gynecomastia procedure ( the surgical removal of "excess fat, glandular tissue and/or skin"-it's in the brochure) and also uses the liposuction in contouring and sculpting.  he would do what is required to give you the best result.  also, he was going to lipo your flanks . if you didn't want that, the price would be less.

why did the Dr. Bermant leave ny after 10 years?  and move outside of Richmond? where is the surgery performed? i guess that area is less expensive than this area.  but it is a 2 hour drive!

there was nothing on his website that was different than all the other docs. fyi, they get that stuff from various web companies who sell designs at the plastic surgery  meetings. Dr. XXXX is also on the list of Top Docs and Top Physicians in America etc.

Like i said if you like/trust Dr. Bermant and the  price is right - i understand you going there.  no problemo.
it's nice talking to you.

take care,
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX

« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 03:14:53 PM by matthew1 »

Offline matthew1

• Gold Member

schedule  your  procedure same day as me , my wife will drive  you down and back! she is the kindest woman you ever meet. I am in Silver Spring. you?
              Actually I plan on a Friday or Sat procedure , becuse I have to go b ack on a Monday for a follow up.
 Kyle, I do not know how good  all these various  docs are, heck, maybe there all good. But something as important  as this  I  want to increase my chances of success. I have heard nothing but positive  about DR Bermant in here. Unless this site is a big fraud and all these  posting in here  are made  by relatives of dr bermant or one of his nephews acting like  he is a bunch of different guys[ joke] , I am going to go with the info  presented on this board and my instincts

Offline fiXXXer

• Bronze Member
What I meant was what rubbed you the wrong way about Dr. Lichstein or Dr. Cohen, that made you decide to go elsewhere?  I've already given them my $500 down-payment, so I'm going to have to jump through hoops to get it back.

I agree that you'd want to go to the best possible place - so do I.  :)

I'm in the Glen Burnie / Brooklyn Park area, though I work in North Baltimore.  Do you mean I could carpool on the surgery date, or for the consultation, or what?  Sounds pretty good!

Offline flex1appeal

I agree, go to dr bermant. Especially if someone is offering you a ride. If you have to forfeit your $500 deposit it's better than losing the entire 6k on a potentially bad surgery. You are guaranteed perfection with dr bermant. There is no one better. I'd do what you can to make arrangements to have him do it.

flex

Offline fiXXXer

• Bronze Member
Well, I just called up and canceled the appointment, and they won't refund the $500 fee.

Sucks because I scheduled the appointment only 5 hours ago, so I doubt that they have actually booked anything in the mean time.

Offline flex1appeal

In the end, you'll be greatful you did that. Even if that dr was any good, he still wouldn't compare to dr bermant.

Offline matthew1

• Gold Member
Well, I just called up and canceled the appointment, and they won't refund the $500 fee.

Sucks because I scheduled the appointment only 5 hours ago, so I doubt that they have actually booked anything in the mean time.

Kyle, that should tell  you something about a  guys office that  wont return money  you gave him   5 hours ago.
 My appointment is  on ,  Wed July 18, 2007  with Bermant for initial consult , we can  ride together for the initial appointment.  Call Dr Bermant office asap to book an appointment same time as mine, tell them   you want to go  same time as me  and we  want to carpool .
           Kyle,  forget about the othe doc ,  book with Bermant

Here is the email i got reseving my  appointment.

It was a pleasure speaking with you and I just wanted to drop you a note confirming our conservation.

We have you scheduled for a Consultation with Dr. Bermant on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 at 12:30pm.  Please arrive a few minutes early so that you can fill out some Patient Information & History forms for Dr. Bermant to review as part of your Consultation Discussions.

The “Appointment/Reservation” fee is $80.00  (U.S. Currency) and you may use a Check or Money Order to pay this fee.  Your Appointment/Reservation fee needs to arrive in our office no later than five (5) days from today (Tuesday, July 10, 2007), or your “reserved” time will be cancelled.

Please make your check or money order (U.S. currency) payable to:

Michael Bermant, M.D., PC.
     Ironbridge Medical Park
     11601 Ironbridge Road, Ste. 201
     Chester, Virginia 23831

Offline rowdy99

• Bronze Member
don't be scared dude, sounds like some nice folks on this board are helping you out, so at least you got them...

as for the post-op drains and stuff, its a little uncomfy but really not that bad...  your chest will be numb for a long time, my surgeon drained my chest today with a big-ass needle 22 days after my surgery and I didn't feel a thing so don't stress ove the pain.

as for the $500 that sucks, but you know what, in the long run 10 years from now when you look back it won't mean anything..

good luck with your surgery, everythang will be fine bro!

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
Well, I just called up and canceled the appointment, and they won't refund the $500 fee...

If you paid the deposit with a credit card, then you can call the customer service number on the back of the card and tell them to not pay that charge.  There's nothing the PS office can do about that.   

Also, if you wrote a check, then call the bank and stop payment.  There will probably be a small service charge but it'll be less than $500. 

Do it now before any more time goes by.
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline sammi

• Posting Member
I don't see how someone who hasen't fully serviced you can keep your deposit.  Thats BOGUS!!!!  I'd fight for your refund.  I'll call and say I'm your wife, I will get your money back!

Offline mmaman

• Silver Member
I think he just did you a huge favor.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...

Yeah, this sux big time dude. However, it does say on the 'Surgery Scheduling Deposit Form' that the $500 is 'Non Refundable'.

Like you mentioned though, you just made the appointment. It's not like you've had surgery booked for weeks and denied someone else that time slot. I didn't have to give my PS a deposit.

GB
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 08:26:50 PM by Grandpa Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024