Author Topic: Non-invasive high-intensity focused ultrasound ablation as treatment  (Read 2686 times)

Offline spaceace

• Bronze Member
This seems like it could be used as an alternative to relatively minor glandular gynecomastia:

Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2007 Jun;7(6):823-31.

High-intensity focused ultrasound ablation of breast cancer.

The noninvasive ablation of tumors with high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) energy has received increasingly widespread interest. The temperature within the focal volume of an ultrasound beam is rapidly raised to cytotoxic levels. HIFU can selectively ablate a targeted tumor at depth without any damage to surrounding or overlying tissues. Animal studies have shown that HIFU ablation is safe and effective for the treatment of implanted breast malignancies. The results from early clinical trials (Phase I and II) are encouraging, suggesting that HIFU is a promising treatment for small breast cancer. Once oncologic efficacy data from large-scale randomized clinical trials are available, HIFU ablation may become an attractive treatment option for patients with small breast cancer, especially the elderly.

Offline spaceace

• Bronze Member
Here is the response I just received from a the Technical Director of the Foundation for Focused Ultrasound Research

Dear XXX,

An interesting question.  While I am fairly certain that HIFU has not been used for this application, it certainly has been shown to necroses breast glandular tissue in a number of studies.  Although I am certainly not an expert in this area, based on these studies, it does indeed seem possible that focused ultrasound may have application in treating gynecomastia.   

Sincerely,
XXX

____
----- Original Message -----
To: XXXX@focused-ultrasound.org
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 5:25 PM
Subject: HIFU question

Hello XXXX,

Could high-intensity focused ultrasound theoretically be used to treat minor glandular gynecomastia? 

Thanks for your time.

XXXXX 

________

About the Foundation for Focused Ultrasound Research:

The Foundation was created on January 3, 2005 as an entity designed to promote research and education in the growing medical area of Focused Ultrasound applied to medicine.  Planned activities are to organize and assist with meetings, symposia, and discussions related to focused ultrasound.  The Association will also work to promote collaborations between research and clinical groups through written and oral communication.  It will strive to assist and educate students at both the graduate and undergraduate levels on research topics related to therapeutic and diagnostic focused ultrasound.

Offline theguy

• Posting Member
Sounds very interesting.  I wonder if the Dr. Bermant would know more about this?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 09:01:10 AM by cleanup »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024