Author Topic: Elevated FT3 Levels  (Read 4218 times)

Offline skyhawk

• Gold Member
 Will Elevated FT3 levels cause Gynecomastia? My thyroid numbers look good with the exception of "sky high FT3."

I also have low testosterone. Could the elevated FT3 be supressing my Testosterone levels?

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
Hang in there, we're not ignoring you, skyhawk.  I responded for the purpose of putting your thread higher up on the list.  Somebody who can give you a meaningful reply will hopefully pick up on it soon and help you.
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
Ok, as a complete layman, here is my very limited knowledge on this.  I would hope that someone with a lot more insight into this will be able to chip in and add to it.  Hypo_is_here?

Elevated levels of FT3 (Free triiodothyronine) are often found in someone who is suffering from Hyperthyroidism.  That is an over activity of the thyroid gland which can be caused by a number of things.  I have read of links between Hyperthyroidism and gynecomastia, but this is not always the case.

I did a quick search on a few websites I use and the following came up.  I would suggest you have a read of them and maybe do your own searching.

http://www.ccjm.org/PDFFILES/Bembo604.pdf.  Gives an excellent overview of gynecomastia and what investigations are recommended by clinicians.  As you will see, one possible cause of gynecomastia is hyperthyroidism.

http://annals.edu.sg/pdf_5sep/kcloh.pdf.  Gives case studies and links between some gyne sufferers and hyperthyroidism.

I take it your Endo is investigating or treating you for these elevated levels and s/he would be the person to ask about a possible link to your gyne.  If (as maybe the case) the Endo doesn’t know, then the above links may encourage him or her to do a little investigating.

You already say you have low testosterone levels so this alone may be the cause of your gyne.  As you know glandular gyne is caused by an imbalance between androgens and oestrogens.  It could be you have “normal” or high levels of oestradiol but with your low testosterone levels then an imbalance could easily have happened.

Like your high FT3 levels , this really is for your Endo to investigate.

As for your question:

Could the elevated FT3 be supressing my Testosterone levels?

I simply don’t know, that is beyond my very limited knowledge, however in your shoes I would be badgering people to find out, just as you are.

Keep us posted as to how you get on.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 11:37:17 AM by Time_to_fix_it »
Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

Offline skyhawk

• Gold Member
Thanks Guys, I put those web pages in my favorites to study. I am glad you guys are here cause its been a very rough road with health, and now gynecomastia.

Somehow I know that the health problems I am experiencing are all related to the gynecomastia. Thyroid imbalances, Low testosterone, weak muscles, Androgel.

I was very healthy untill I was prescribed a cholesterol lowering drug. A runner, swimmer, weight training and a pilot. My muscles suffered terribly with the cholesterol drug, my testosterone fell to miserably low levels. My thyroid grew cancerous nodules.

I now understand the relationship of cholesterol to testosterone. And I understand that there is a relationship between thyroid hormone and steriod hormones. And that these can all have an efect on gyne. Especially the Androgel I was prescribed. Poof! Boobs.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024