Author Topic: Question 4 Docs: Recovery Time  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Want2Change

Ok, so I'm well on the road towards scheduling my GRS.  However, there is one question which is unresolved which is preventing me from actually picking a date/timeframe.

I understand that after surgery, there is a recovery period where a lack of upper body movement is recommended.  Well, I'm a part-time musician; a guitarist, to be exact.  And I kind of need to understand how long I need to "schedule" myself out of music-related commitments (rehearsals, performances, etc.) where I'll be required to hold a 10lb guitar around my torso for several hours, not to mention the arm motion required to play it.

I don't want this to be a stickler that prevents me from moving forward with surgery, so any feedback would be very beneficial.

Sincere thanks in advance.

Offline turningacorner

• Silver Member
haha! same bro

I sing too, front man baby gunna be mad

I was thinking darn it.. it hurts it hurts, I can take it..

someone got any ideas on what the results of this could be?

hopefully under the knife within 3 weeks!

DrBermant

Ok, so I'm well on the road towards scheduling my GRS.  However, there is one question which is unresolved which is preventing me from actually picking a date/timeframe.

I understand that after surgery, there is a recovery period where a lack of upper body movement is recommended.  Well, I'm a part-time musician; a guitarist, to be exact.  And I kind of need to understand how long I need to "schedule" myself out of music-related commitments (rehearsals, performances, etc.) where I'll be required to hold a 10lb guitar around my torso for several hours, not to mention the arm motion required to play it.

I don't want this to be a stickler that prevents me from moving forward with surgery, so any feedback would be very beneficial.

Sincere thanks in advance.

Recovery after surgery depends on the original problem, what was done, injury during surgery, bruising, skill of your surgeon, after care, how you heal and other factors. I prefer techniques that typically have less bruising, less swelling, less injury which all help with healing.  That is how I can put up images of my patients so soon after surgery.  Check out typical Bruising, Swelling, and Recovery for my Gynecomastia Surgery.

Although I do not tear the muscle, the recovery is sort of like a sprain you can get back when your body lets you, not before.  The body does not heal on a time schedule.  Push it too far too soon and you will set yourself back, cause new injury and swelling, and slow recovery.  My patients are typically walking around comfortably with very little to no pain medication the day after surgery.  The walking is fine, bouncing is not comfortable. Using a keyboard is easy even the day of surgery.  Putting the arms up over the head, now that is putting injured tissues under strain. 

I prefer to individualize the recovery plan for each of my patients.  Such issues are best explored during a consultation with the doctor with who you are planning surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024