Author Topic: I'm New Here  (Read 1700 times)

Offline MRGR

• Posting Member

Greetings all,

As the title says, i'm new here & so wanted to say hello. I'm not sure what info I should post so unless asked for more info, i'll keep it basic. I am a 6'4, 280lbs, 33 year old male. I live in the central valley of California. I'm married to a woman I love and I have a healthy 10 year old daughter whom I adore. I have had gynecomastia since I was 13 and for those of you here that have had it or worse yet, still do, you can relate when I say that it really sucks. (Unless you like yours, in which case i'm sorry I said it sucks, but for me, it really, really does.)

The lack of self confidence & self esteem due to having this condition has really taken its toll on me. For years I have tried to "ignore" my condition, in the hopes that it would "go away" such as I had read it had been known to do from time to time for some people, but for me, ignoring it did more harm than good. I'm not going to go into detail the psychological impact it had on me, because everyone else here who has told their stories before me, have already said everything I could ever hope to convay to all of you here. How each & everyone one of you here feels about it, that is how I have felt & still do. More strongly now than ever.

Realizing that ignoring it was not the answer, I have begun viewing my condition in a proactive light. That is why I am here.

I browsed many of the pictures that so many of you took of yourself and posted here. You have my deepest respect for having the courage to do so. Your stories really are an inspiration to all of us here that live with this horrible condition. However, I feel compelled to say, that compared to 99% of you, I would look like Dolly Parton, if I were to stand next to you. If you'll excuse my crude attempt at humor & for the comparison to her divine self. ;D

Once I am able to actually get somewhere in my new search for a way to have my conditioned taken care of, only then will I take pictures of myself to show you that I am in fact quite serious as to just how bad I have it.

What really sucks is that no one else in my entire family ever had it. I NEVER did any drugs growing up nor did I drink. I never smoked, other than the 2nd hand I got before smoking was banned everywhere. In fact, none of the reasons why it occures  in males applies to me that I am aware of. Other than some genetic condition in my family tree that is unknown. I have had blood work done & was told by more than one doctor that my blood was actually very much on the healthy side of the spectrum with no known diseases or problems. I was never & I mean never overweight when I was younger for I grew up skiing, camping & rock climbing. While I was on the Nordic ski team in High School, my Body Fat Index was taken at a clinic & I was at an extremely low 3%. To give you an idea of how in shape I was. Very slim, but in excellent shape. (Pics avail if proof is needed.)

Now, because being slim and in shape only makes me all the more self aware of my condition, I have over the past 3 years begun to gain weight. In a stupid attempt for my chest to not be so noticeable. That and my wife is a damn fine cook. So like I said. Time to take a proactive stance.

I just realized that I am rambling. I'm sorry. I'm sure this is boring you all.

So before I shut up, I have a couple questions:

1) Does anyone know which of the major medical insurance carriers that DOES cover the procedure?I'm poor. I can't pay out of pocket. A big reason I ignored it for so long.
2) Does anyone here live in Ca and know of a good doctor that performs the surgery? Preferably located in the central valley? 
3) How do you advise I go about asking my insurance carrier (Kaiser) if they cover it? Key terms? Is it only considered cosmetic? How about Mental health. It plays a HUGE role on my mental health. :P

Thanks to everyone here in advance.

-Jeff

Offline enthusiastic

• Posting Member
Jeff, I'm 33 and suffering just like you.

I don't have the wife and kid, but I'm going in for surgery in 3 weeks.  I'm here to share and to get support.

Hang in there.

By the way, don't think that a compression garment won't help.  It will.  Your wife will understand.  She loves you.   My girlfriend of 2 years understood and didn't care.   I looked better in public and she liked that too I guess.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 07:34:57 PM by enthusiastic »

Offline MRGR

• Posting Member

Found this on this site. Very handy. A listing of Doctors here in Ca that perform the corrective surgery.

http://www.gynecomastia.org/content/surg_listing/surgeons.cgi?filter=USA&filter_state=CA

-MRG

Offline MRGR

• Posting Member
First step is over. Thanks to this amazing site, I have found a doctor that is semi-local (1.5 hours away) This coming week I will be contacting his office. I will post all my findings and impressions here as I go through the process.

Name
Miguel A. Delgado Jr., M.D.

Address
1) 165 Rowland Way Suite 300 Novato, Ca 94945
2) 450 Sutter St. Suite 2433 San Francisco, CA 94108

Phone
1) 415-898-4161
2) 415-989-2221 (S.F.)

Certifications   
Diplomat American Board of Plastic Surgery
American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons
American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
Diplomat American College of Surgeons
American Lipoplasty Society
American Medical Association
Marin Medical Society
California Medical Association
International Society for Hair Restoration Surgery
California Plastic Surgery Society

Philosophy   
I believe in counseling and personalized care for all of my patients. In a nice private setting surgical results are discussed and great attention to detail is outlined. I want all of my patients to be comfortable with or without clothing. I believe that experience makes a difference. When all of these elements are brought together our patients find peace and harmony within.

For a free consultation by phone or email, just forward your request with photos (front and side views).

Procedures offered
1. Liposuction
2. Liposuction with glandular excision
3. Liposuction with glandular excision and skin excision.

Years performing Gynecomastia Surgery
Average Number of Gynecomastia Procedures a year

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024