Author Topic: My Parents don't understand gynecomastia  (Read 4027 times)

Offline Gipetto

Ive tried to explain to my parents what gynecomastia is but they are being very dismissive thinking its just fat but that thing is im 17 have 13% bodyfat and i have a b-cup chest size. I have tried to show them websites and documents and videos and to no success they refuse to acknowlede this issue, i literally cry thinking about the stuff ive gone through in highschool with this issue i nickname my curse. How can i firmly tell them the to listen to me and not BS around it.

GynO_DuDe

Tell them you cry. Tell them how its effecting you. Tell them its totally f*ck!ng up your life. THEN THEY ARE BOUND TO LISTEN.

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
Sometimes parents just don't understand what it's doing to their son.  For them you just have to keep telling them how you're feeling in situations.  Eventually maybe they will understand how much of an effect it has on your life. 

Many times a gyne-sufferer will suffer in silence for a long time and then spring all of this emotion and misery on his parents all at one time and with no warning.  In those cases, parents sometimes assume that it's just "one of those teen things" and honestly believe it will pass.  Just keep them in the loop on how you're feeling and over time they will most likely begin to show more understanding and support as they get used to the idea of gynecomastia.

That being said, some parents unfortunately never come around, and when you're a legal adult you can save your money and get help with or without their blessing. 

MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

DrBermant

Ive tried to explain to my parents what gynecomastia is but they are being very dismissive thinking its just fat but that thing is im 17 have 13% bodyfat and i have a b-cup chest size. I have tried to show them websites and documents and videos and to no success they refuse to acknowlede this issue, i literally cry thinking about the stuff ive gone through in highschool with this issue i nickname my curse. How can i firmly tell them the to listen to me and not BS around it.

Emotion of Living With Gynecomastia:  Many have told me that they had difficulty telling parents, brothers, sisters, family, wives, and friends what it was like having male breasts.  We also have many friends and family asking "How do I help?"  Here is a video tool.

Here is video of a patient discussing the stress and emotions dealing with gynecomastia and the relief after surgery.  Posting words has value, but this discussion by my patient is very intense.  The 13 minutes 14 seconds video with audio (or audio alone clips) are before and after massive gland removal and breast lift (male mastopexy for drooping chest).  I used larger video files because there was such expressiveness in his body language.  For those wanting to use smaller files, there are audio only versions.  QuickTime and Windows Media Video versions are posted.

Here is the link to the new videos.  The after surgery images are only 5 days and 11 days after surgery and there was much redundant skin.

Emotions of those with gynecomastia are important.  The expressiveness of listening and viewing is just more powerful than just reading words.  I plan to expand the material once I learn if the format is working well.  This is something my patients have been asking for to help deal with parents, wives, friends who just do not understand.

Beyond that there is this site and the many pages found in my Encyclopedic Resource on Gynecomastia.

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline Gipetto

Thank you, i think showing them that video will help alot cause i can relate on pretty much everything he said.

Offline outertrial

Parents are often quite bad at acknowledging problems in their offspring because they dont want to admit theres anything wrong with their kids. Makes em feel guilty you see. Annoying for you. Hang in there and keep stating to them why you want them to understand.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024