Author Topic: NIPPLE PAIN/ITCH/BURN...H-E-L-P!!!!  (Read 11267 times)

Offline PC in ATL

• Posting Member
Two weeks ago I underwent surgery to correct moderate to light gynecomastia, plus had extensive front and back lipo and a mini abdominoplasty. The gyneco was treated to my satisfaction - it's looking great - and no tissue had to be excised, so there's no scarring. I've had a relatively easy couple of weeks, compared to what I thought would happen. The surgeon said I was doing quite well. No issues.

Until...3 days ago my nipples started hurting/burning/itching. I called the surgeon, and she said it was a sign of healing - that the lipo was pretty intense under that area, and that the feelings are normal. She recommended massaging the nipple areas plus taking hot showers. I've done both, and it seems to have helped somewhat, but I'm still overly sensitive.

Have you had any post-surgery experiences like this? If so, were you able to do anything that provided relief? This is getting me down...

Thank you.

Offline snuffy

• Posting Member
The first gyno surgery I had was lipo.  My nipples and areola were sore for six months.  It wasn't an outright excruciating pain, but it was sore.  If I leaned my chest up against the preacher's curl it hurt.  I went for my six month checkup and my plastic surgeon agreed I needed to have the gland removed.  Now two months after that surgery I'm pain free.  Yes, it does take a while for nerve ending to heal up after surger, but I think the pain I experienced after my lipo surgery had to do with all that fat being stripped away from the gland.  It definitely wasn't going away until the gland was removed.

Offline PC in ATL

• Posting Member
Thanks for the insight, Snuffy. I appreciate it.

Anybody else got something to share on this?...pc.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
No matter what method a surgeon uses to perform gyne surgery, there is ALWAYS post operative numbness of the skin of the chest and the nipples.  This is due to the temporary interruption of sensory nerve fiber conduction.  The feeling to the skin and the nipples invariably returns, slow in some and faster in others -- very variable.  However, during the RECOVERY process, as the nerves are beginning to conduct impulses again, there are numerous symptoms that you may experience.  Some of these symptoms are severe itching, tingling, pain, super-sensitivity of the skin or nipples and occasionally a sharp shooting pain which comes and goes before you know it.  These are all normal and indeed reflect that healing is occurring.  Eventually, the symptoms do subside and in the vast majority of men, normal sensation returns to the skin and nipples.  There are really no really good treatments (ie creams, medications, etc) for these symptoms -- just wait it out.

Just be patient!

Dr. Jacobs 
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline PC in ATL

• Posting Member
Thank you, Dr. Jacobs. It's comforting to hear that you agree with my surgeon's analysis. I appreciate your having answered this question.

pc

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024