Author Topic: Chances of my surgery being at least PARTIALLY covered by insurance?  (Read 4090 times)

Offline CodySockeye

• Silver Member
  • i-raq
I really want to get this surgery because it is slowly but surely KILLING me. I often contemplate suicide because I know that because of the way I look and the teasing that haunts me, I know I can never be happy. And what's the point of living if you're not happy?

I feel so helpless; hopeless. I've been trying to get a job for almost a year now (I'm almost 15) and I really cannot find work anywhere! It's frustrating and ridiculous!

At first, I wanted to go to a surgeon that has experience and specializes in gynecomastia. My standards have sunk so low over the past 9 months... I really dont care who I go to anymore! So long as I can get some gland excision, I'd be 5000% happy.

It seems like no one in my family truly knows what I'm going through. This gynecomastia dictates my life, my moods, and my emotions. My mom says "don't let it."

~Sigh~ If it were only that simple...

So, I live in Florida, I'm 15, and had gyne for almost 7 years now! I first remember being teased for my condition in 4th or 5th grade, now in 10th. It's been a long time. My hormones are normal, I think all that's left is surgery for me. But at this point, I don't see how that's possible without some help from insurance...

What do you think the chances are on the insurance covering at least part of it?

Offline CodySockeye

• Silver Member
  • i-raq
Sheeit, almost my whole freaking family knows yet nothing will be done. I guess I'm just going to have to get a job  :-\

Offline stratboy

• Posting Member
yea as soon as the insurance company heres "cosmetic surgery" they think your fine and that your just to lazy to work on your body not knowing  that it rips us apart inside. If it bothers u that much try to save it up like u said get a job bro and good luck.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
We heard from the mother of a lad who was able to get coverage after a Psychologist provided a letter detailing the impact that gynecomasiea was having.

Social withdrawal/ isolation, poor self image, etc. are common effects of Gynecomastia. A Psychologist could document these things and possibly open a successful appeal even after coverage has been previously denied.

My guess is that your medical plan will probably cover a visit with a Psychologist for depression. What have you got to lose?
Grandpa Dan

Offline CodySockeye

• Silver Member
  • i-raq
thanks guys. i'm really just not sure what im gonna do at this point. oh well. if i have any more questions i'll be sure to let you know  :-\

Offline moobius

• Gold Member
don't count on insurance covering it...

i had lab tests and my doctor recommending excision... the insurnace comp had their doctor "evaluate" my labs/doctor recommendation and he deemed it "medically unecessary". fuckers...

i'm gonna get retribution one way or another... that is a promise.

unfortuantely i'm on my own for the cost of surgery.

Offline Don Won I

• Bronze Member
Yeah, insurance won't do shit. I tried for almost two years and gave them everything they needed and more. Guess what? Those fuckers still denied it. You can try all you want, but don't get your hopes up.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024