Author Topic: Lifting Weights After Surgery  (Read 2847 times)

Offline Jahshua

• Posting Member
  • There is life after Gynecomastia
Before my surgery I was lifting weights 4-6 days a week. I was really getting into it, and started having positive results  :) I can hardly wait to get back into the gym to continue my training, but at my pre-op appointment the consultant told me it could be up to six weeks before I'm able to lift again. Is this true  ??? How long does it normally take to get back to the weights after gyne surgery?
Here's my doc's web page: drmoliver.com

Offline manic91m9

• Gold Member
yeah my doctor said 6, i kinda cheated and did it at 5 but then i felt like                                                   swelling increased so i let it go for another week. you really just have to listen to your body post surgery, if you are doing something wrong you will feel it

Offline Jahshua

• Posting Member
  • There is life after Gynecomastia
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Looks like I'm prolly gonna be stuck with six weeks grrr. The other day I read that after about four weeks of not lifting, you loose about 17% of your gained muscle mass! Oh well, I gained it before, and I can do it again.  :)

Offline Ps3touch

• Posting Member
I'm wondering this as well. Do you lift 6 weeks after surgery which is the same time the compression vest comes off?

Offline manic91m9

• Gold Member
yeh u might lose a bit of muscle but it shouldn't be hard to gain back (muscle memory) and the break from lifting could actually be a good thing for muscle gain.

Offline mmaman

• Silver Member
manic91m9 is right.  You may want to try and shock your muscles.   
It's different for everybody.  I lifted a week after surgery and it actually took all the swelling away.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024