Author Topic: Two days post operation, PLEASE READ  (Read 3427 times)

Offline scousered45

• Posting Member
I'm two days post operation, which was done on Thursday 7th Feb.

Bit of background information first:

Basically I'm 18 and finally had the nerve to go in for an operation. I am tall and thin but had fat and tissue around the chest area and although it could be hidden in a baggy shirt like most on here I didn't like swimming and felt nervous at any kind of event or situation where I might have to take my shirt off.

Anyway, I had breast reduction surgery with incisions of the gland and I think lipo as well.

A few hours after the op it looked good but now it seems to have gone back too almost how it was before.

There was some bruising but thats gone down a lot and is hardly visible. I had drains for the first day which were removed as well.

I'm not wearing a compression vest, is this good/bad/indifferent, I've seen the name a lot on here?

Anyway to cut my incoherent, worried post short is the reason why it seems to have gone back to normal likely to be swelling? The doctor did say there was swelling but I'm not sure  how much is swelling.

Also how long does swelling take to go down usually with the operation I have had?

I might post some pictures later but don't have any 'before' ones.

By the way if it wasn't for this board I wouldn't have had the operation so cheers guys, I just hope the swelling goes down.

Actually I've just realised how long  and incoherent the post is so I'll make the questions bold.

Edit: Me saying its gone back to how it was before is a bit of an over-exaggeration, its better but not what I was hoping for yet.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 03:02:05 PM by scousered45 »

Offline michaelmorey

• Bronze Member
Hi Mate,

I just had a consultation and the surgeon explained things quite well to me (I've not had my op yet, but hopefuly very soon)...

Anyway, firstly, I think that you MUST wear a compression vest for at least a few weeks (if not a month) because compression helps the healing/recovery period..so have a think about getting/wearing one.

Also, immediately after the op, you look very flat because the gland and fat has been taken out..over the next few days, the body starts to repair itself and all kinds of fluids,blood.gunk and stuff rushes to the area that's suffered such trauma (your chest) and fills it up...this is why your chest appears to swell back up again. But the key thing is, that it's not breast tissue/gland that it fills back up with..it's repair material/scar tissue...and it's the scar tissue that takes months to break down and go..but it does. So you won't see proper results for many weeks/months (depending on how your body heals) but it will heal.

Also, in order to liberate the chest muscle from the skin, you have to start massaging the chest and keepin the chest/arm mobile.

This is what i gathered from my consultation, and it really made sense to me...I know it's easy for me to say, as I haven't had the op yet...but I hope it brings you some hope/comfort.

Cheers

mm

Offline ajax6

• Posting Member
What do you mean, you "think lipo as well?"  You don't know?  The fact that you're asking these questions two days after the operation isn't surprising.  You DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT KIND OF SURGERY YOU HAD.   

Offline scousered45

• Posting Member
Hi Mate,

I just had a consultation and the surgeon explained things quite well to me (I've not had my op yet, but hopefuly very soon)...

Anyway, firstly, I think that you MUST wear a compression vest for at least a few weeks (if not a month) because compression helps the healing/recovery period..so have a think about getting/wearing one.

Also, immediately after the op, you look very flat because the gland and fat has been taken out..over the next few days, the body starts to repair itself and all kinds of fluids,blood.gunk and stuff rushes to the area that's suffered such trauma (your chest) and fills it up...this is why your chest appears to swell back up again. But the key thing is, that it's not breast tissue/gland that it fills back up with..it's repair material/scar tissue...and it's the scar tissue that takes months to break down and go..but it does. So you won't see proper results for many weeks/months (depending on how your body heals) but it will heal.

Also, in order to liberate the chest muscle from the skin, you have to start massaging the chest and keepin the chest/arm mobile.

This is what i gathered from my consultation, and it really made sense to me...I know it's easy for me to say, as I haven't had the op yet...but I hope it brings you some hope/comfort.

Cheers

mm

Cheers thats very reassuring

Good luck with your op as well

What do you mean, you "think lipo as well?"  You don't know?  The fact that you're asking these questions two days after the operation isn't surprising.  You DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT KIND OF SURGERY YOU HAD.   

I'm not sure whether the technique to remove the fat is done by lipo or taken out with the gland by another method. At the end of the day I'm not the surgeon so I don't need to know everything done.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 03:21:08 AM by scousered45 »

Offline karthik28

• Posting Member
Keep us updated. Good luck for your recovery.
I am also worried about scar tissue. everybody complaining about scar tissue. i have asked in other post also about this scar tissue. would it ever go away? if it  is going to give same protruding appearence to your chest, what's the point in going for surgery?
Karthik.

Offline scousered45

• Posting Member
Don't know much about scar tissue, but apparently it breaks down after a while.

I will keep everyone updated, no changes left but both my chest is greeny coloured from the bruising and discomfort levels are going down. I think it is just swelling because just after the op it looked good.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024