Author Topic: op before travels???  (Read 1540 times)

Offline peek-a-boob

hey, i have been considering surgery for the last 3 years now and would like to have the surgery done before i go backpacking for 3 months across south east asia and china starting the end of june. Being in the hot and humid climates it is going to make my gyno as prominent as it can be, although some may consdier it not that bad. however, like any other sufferer it is still something i am very aware of and would like to have it done before hand. so i ask, considering the possible recovery time, and the physical strain of backpacking do you think it is unrealistic to have it done before hand???

there is no doubt that i am going to have it done but if there is a large risk that it may screw up my travles then i will have to wait.

any help appreciated.

Offline gynebegone2

• Bronze Member
The sooner the better.  I would talk to your Doctor, but as far as I'm concerned I could handle a pack now at about week 2, but I'm sure it would aggravate the swelling a little.  I would shoot for at least 2 months beforehand though since you do have the time.  At two months you should be looking great and any complications that would have occurred would have manifest themselves by then.

Offline scousered45

• Posting Member
Agree with GBD2, in six days post op and can go on long walks. You would want to wait a month before going on a pack trip incase anything goes wrong.

The sooner the better.  I would talk to your Doctor, but as far as I'm concerned I could handle a pack now at about week 2, but I'm sure it would aggravate the swelling a little.  I would shoot for at least 2 months beforehand though since you do have the time.  At two months you should be looking great and any complications that would have occurred would have manifest themselves by then.

Any idea how long swelling lasts, I'm six days post op and since day 2 my chest has almost gone back to the size it was before. I've done a lot of walking as I have a dog so will this have aggravated it?

Offline gynebegone2

• Bronze Member
I couldn't tell you.  I was going on long walks the day of the op (I'm only 12 days)..  I really don't have that great of a guage, but for me it seems when I am active and take off my vest its much tighter (more swelling) as opposed to in the morning it seems looser.  I've seem post where people swear they have swelling months afterwords..  As far as taking walks etc, the nurse from my PS called 3 days out and wanted to make sure I was taking walks to get my heart rate up and increase circulation so it certainly doesn't seem like a bad thing.

Offline peek-a-boob

ah ok, well what sort of surgery did you guys have?? was it incision or lipo suction?? i think i would prefer an incision as it seems that the success rate of happy customers seems to favour incision ops, tho i am still yet to have a consultation. mine is rather small and when im cold it is almost unoticeable so i would like to think even with swelling it wouldnt be much worse than it is now.

i may talk to the doctor but last time i mentioned it he was just hell bent on me recieving psycological therapy and pretty much dismissed it?!! ...gona go to a different doctor and tell them that i have decided to have and will have it done,  and then ask for an opinion.

anyone have any info on the different after effects of lipo and incision ops??

cheers

Offline gynebegone2

• Bronze Member
You should get both.  In rare cases you may not need the lipo, but if you have any gland at all (which is what true gyne is) you NEED excision.  Then usually you need lipo as well for one of two reasons.  1 that the gland is intermingled with the fat in some places so you will never be able to burn it, or 2. that you need some lipo to even your your chest after the gland has been removed.  At any rate if you think you have gland don't let anyone tell you all you need is lipo.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024