Author Topic: Prolactinoma  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Prolactinoma

• Posting Member
Hi All,

Last year around my 28th Birthday (August) I found out I had a pituitary tumour. A prolactinoma to be precise. This hormone stimulates the breast tissue and also has the knock-on effect of lowering testosterone. My growth hormone has also plummeted. On the bright side it's not fatal and is usually easily cured through medication. On the downside its left me with a killer pair of bitch breasts. I will post pics as soon as I have access to a camera.

My current status is that I have been receiving treatment in the form of Cabergoline for the last four months. It is lowering my prolactin but it is still not within the normal range. I am wondering if anyone, slim chance maybe, might know if there is any reason a PS wouldn't operate on someone whose hormones have recently been abnormal? I am thinking as soon as they normalise I am off to Spain for Sangria, Paella, sun and a boob job ;)

Also Does anyone know how much Dr Jesus charges for lipo, excision and nipple reshaping? I know for the first two is circa £2500 but what about the last, you reckon if I haggle he'll throw it in for gratis?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 06:05:26 PM by Prolactinoma »

Offline moobius

• Gold Member
hormones outta whack can cause complications during surgery... excessive bleeding b/c your blood isn't clotting properly probably being the main culprit.

beyond that, some docs may not operate as they see it as a waste of time/liability/etc. ie: the until the underlying problem is addressed and prolactin is in check, the gynecomastia could get worse/reocur even after surgery.  if a surgeon performed the procedure prior to the prolactinoma being addressed, then the surgery could open them up to you coming back and saying they didn't do a good job or wanting a 2nd procedure done no-billed when they actually did the job right the first time.  just not worth the risk/liability on their part

Offline milesed1

• Silver Member
Your's is a case that insurance should cover. Just like reconstruction after women have breast cancer surgery. Fight it if necessary.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Prolactinoma,

moobius Stated his answer so well that I have nothing to add.  I concur with him on all counts.

milesed 1 Also spoke the truth, look into insurance coverage.
Grandpa Dan

Offline moobius

• Gold Member
Your's is a case that insurance should cover. Just like reconstruction after women have breast cancer surgery. Fight it if necessary.

doubt he'd get anywhere... the insurance companies have docs that they pay big bucks to to review cases just like this and render their "medical opinion" which is: "Medically Unnecessary".

you may be able to fight it and eventually win, but the costs incurred by taking 'em to court would probably far exceed the expenses of just paying for the surgery out of pocket. sad, but that's the way it is...

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024