Author Topic: Mammogram  (Read 4913 times)

Offline Bob2000

• Posting Member
I got a mammogram done, and the doctor told me i did not have gynecomastia, "its all fat, as you can see theres no indication of gynecomastia in these images'. I wasn't told this by the technician, i was pulled aside by the doctor herself, and she emphatically told me i did not have gynecomastia.  I went back to my endo and she said 'thats what breast tissue IS, breast tissue is made from fat'. Who do i believe? Endo says i have it, the breast doctor says i dont.  i was told i have slightly elevated levels of prolactin, anyone know if prolactin can induce gynecomastia?

Offline mmaman

• Silver Member
Gynecomastia as most identify with is excess mammary gland.  Are you skinny with puffy nipples or are you quite a bit overweight?

Offline Bob2000

• Posting Member
well, i am about 20 pounds overweight. I developed an increase in breast tissue about 6 months ago, prior to the onset of gynecomsatia my weight was pretty much the same. I am changing my endo, she doesnt seem like she has a clue about endocrinology.She has made some curious  statements such as 'human hormones are too complicated, its not an easy thing to determine what is causing your gyne, but yeah further blood tests are a waste of money" shes relying on a single blood test, things can change over a number of months, id like to know  if theres been any fluctuations in my hormone levels. "tamoxifin will not work for gyne, it will help with the pain", I have read a million web sites claiming drugs like temoxifin do work for recent onset of gynecomastia, when i mention that to her she says "stop reading things online, they will further confuse you and add to your stress". "surgery should be the last option"..if your telling me medication wont treat my gyne, then what the hell options do i have?

Offline skyhawk

• Gold Member
Welcome to the club in frustration with endos.

I went thru the exact same thing as you. More than likely its not pure fat dispite the mammogram. A surgeon explained to me that imaging can miss the diffuse fingers of gland in the fatty tissue.

Concerning the Endo. Physicians are constantly ordering labs and leaving out important pieces of the puzzle. Those of us that have been on these boards see it all the time. They run testosterone, but forget estradiol. Or they run this or that, but leave out something else. As a result, there is an incomplete hormonal picture and the patient has to go back and start all over. No single blood test will work. Its a panel.

Gynecomastia means "women like breasts". Your endo and radiologist can argue until the end of time and it won't make any difference. The fact remains, if you have enlarged breasts, you have enlarged breasts no matter what name you give it.  And it will take a skilled gynecomastia surgeon to fix it.

You have only had this for 6 months? What do YOU think triggered it? How old are you? 

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
My endo has made some curious  statements such as 'human hormones are too complicated, its not an easy thing to determine what is causing your gyne.

For the majority of Gynecomastic sufferers, the experts don't know how we develop the condition. The term is called 'Idiopathic'...

"tamoxifin will not work for gyne, it will help with the pain", I have read a million web sites claiming drugs like temoxifin do work for recent onset of gynecomastia.

Dude, I just did a Google search on 'Tamoxifen' (a quoted paragraph is below), its intended purpose is to treat breast cancer. Tamoxifen is an 'anti-estrogen' drug. Apparently, it is 'estrogen' that causes breast cancer (ya learn something new every day huh?). So I am assuming that the doctors think that if they reduce the estrogen in the breast, this will fight/eliminate the cancer.

Tamoxifen: Truly A Miracle Drug

How does it work?

Tamoxifen acts as an "anti-estrogen" in the body. Since estrogen promotes the growth of breast cancer cells, Tamoxifen slows or stops the growth of breast cancer cells that are already present in the body. It is also used to prevent the development of cancer in the opposite breast. Although Tamoxifen acts as an "anti-estrogen" in breast tissue, it in fact acts like estrogen in other body systems. This leads women who take Tamoxifen to experience many of the same benefits as women who undergo estrogen replacement therapy. These benefits include lowering of blood cholesterol levels and a lowering of the risk of osteoporosis.

What I would like to know is... how Tamoxifen 'targets' the breast as an 'anti' estrogen and a 'pro' estrogen in the rest of the body...  ???

when i mention that to her she says "stop reading things online, they will further confuse you and add to your stress".

That's absurd! The Net is an awesome resource for information. Sure, there is some bogus stuff online, but that is also true for any medium. You, as an individual, have to 'sift' through it all and decide for yourself what is 'good' and what is 'bad'. That's just the way the world is...  ;)

"surgery should be the last option"..if your telling me medication wont treat my gyne, then what the hell options do i have?

Live with it... or, have corrective surgery.  ;)

Gynecomastia means "women like breasts". Your endo and radiologist can argue until the end of time and it won't make any difference. The fact remains, if you have enlarged breasts, you have enlarged breasts no matter what name you give it.  And it will take a skilled gynecomastia surgeon to fix it.

Agreed 100%...

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Bob2000

• Posting Member
well i am in my early 20s, ive had some issue with thinning hair and at one point i did use propecia, after a month and a half it caused serious side effects ie. gynecomastia, painful testicles, pain around the nipples. I quit that poison and after 3 months i was back to baseline.  Then about 7 months ago i tried a topical dht inhibitor made from 'fatty acids', nothing synthetic. I figured since its topical it wont enter the blood stream in amounts great enough to cause any weird symptoms. After a month or so, i noticed the gynecomastia, i quit that product but this time i have not seen any reduction in breast tissue. I am thinking it might even be a coincidence, and the topical might have nothing to do with the gynocomastia, because at the same time that i developed the gynecomastia, ive had a host of other problems, such as heart palpitations, chest pains, fatigue, my body heals incredibly slowly. ive injured my elbows 6 months ago and i have not healed yet. i was afflicted with acheliles heel tendinitis and that hasnt healed yet, too many to list. I have had the heart tests to rule out any cardiac problems.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024