Author Topic: can anyone answer this ?  (Read 3125 times)

Offline juicyj304

• Posting Member
i am a 16 y/o with gynecomastia and next week i am scheduled to see an endocrinologist my doctor said that i should not take medicine because i am still growing and he said it would go away but it has been over 2 years and it is a decent case of it so i dont think it is gonna just go away now i am just wondering what will happen at the endocrinologists and if i should ask about getting surgery if anyone went through this and could help please do in any way thanks for reading

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Most doctors tell the same "It'll go away in time" story. To their credit, they are probably correct for nearly half of their patients. I heard that story when I was about 12.  I was 70 last July and I'm still waiting.

Seriously, Keep the appointment with the Endocrinologist.  Ask the Endocrinologist to estimate how near you are to being through puberty.  You could still be in early puberty, mid, not too likely you are in late puberty yet. If the breast enlargement is still there when your hormones settle down to their normal adult levels, Then is the time to see a surgeon.
Grandpa Dan

Offline juicyj304

• Posting Member
thanks man i think mine is a bit severe to just go away but you never know i really just want it gone

Offline 9Wolf

• Bronze Member
  • Seize the day! Be free of your burden...
I was also told the same thing over and over by 'general doctors'... they don't know what they are talking about half the time. 20 years later, I have it taken out.

Remember, once your 18, you don't need permission from any doctor to go have it taken out. If you still have it when you're 18, I'd just go right to the plastic surgeon, and have them do both lipo and excision. The truth is that it is a very easy, minor surgery for an experienced, competent plastic surgeon. It's pretty routine now.

In my opinion, don't waste your best, young years hiding from this any longer than you have to... and for sure, don't wait (like I, and others did) just because some unknowledgeable doctor tells you that "it'll go away" b.s...
Triple Surgery done in Chandigarh, India (Jan 10, 2008):
1. Gynecomastia Surgery (simultaneously with #2)
2. Tonsillectomy
3. Septoplasty (5 days after #1 and 2)

3 lifelong problems wiped out in a flash of knives... Now recovering and excited beyond belief. :)

Offline outertrial

It does go away for a lot of people after puberty, but thats not much comfort if your one of the ones it hasnt gone for. For what its worth I had it at puberty then up til about 18. It then totally went, I was in good shape and had a great chest.  It then  slowly started coming back in my early 20's, grew substantially in my late 20's and I then had the op when I was 31. Had gland excision so it wasnt just fat.

Offline 9Wolf

• Bronze Member
  • Seize the day! Be free of your burden...
It does go away for a lot of people after puberty, but thats not much comfort if your one of the ones it hasnt gone for. For what its worth I had it at puberty then up til about 18. It then totally went, I was in good shape and had a great chest.  It then  slowly started coming back in my early 20's, grew substantially in my late 20's and I then had the op when I was 31. Had gland excision so it wasnt just fat.

Yes, exactly. In many guys, it goes away (however at younger ages), but at 18 or so you should have a good idea. And the reason that excision is so important is that it is the glands that make it reoccur. The gland tissue is what is the catalyst for gynecomastia. If you have no gland, it won't trigger your body to grow your breasts (since you have none) and won't ask for fat accumulation either. That's why I say that if at the ripe age of 18 you have 'any' signs still, just have it ALL taken out. Don't bother with any guessing, or wait-and-see approach. The chance that it comes back is not worth it, in my opinion.

Offline juicyj304

• Posting Member
yea i wish i could get surgery but my parents think my doctor knows what hes talkin about i hope the endo says something so i can possibly get surgery soon cuz im sick of it

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline juicyj304

• Posting Member

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024