Author Topic: Questions to ask Surgeon???  (Read 2172 times)

Offline CGeorge

• Posting Member
does any body have a list of important questions to ask the surgeon during my consultation??

Offline jackson318

• Posting Member
Things I made sure to know:
 - will they be removing fat and gland or just fat?
 - what procedure do they use for the lipo (the saline injection type (normal, regular type), ultrasound, some other?
 - what sort of incisions do they use (around nipple, under arm)?
 - how bad is my gyne as opposed to other gyne they've worked with?
 - made sure to see pics of other cases they've worked on
 - how many gyne's do they do a year?
 - how many years have they been doing it?
 - what is their post op procudure (eg, do they normally use drains, how long to they suggest compression, etc)
 - what has gone wrong in their gyne's (ie, need for revisions, bad scarring/lumping, discoloration, losing flesh/nipples).  Note that these are all potential risks of a gyne reduction surgery.  I asked my doctors about this to gauge their comfort with it, and their honesty.  the doc I did go with was very honest that one guy he had didn't heal right and ended up losing a nipple, and it may have been because the patient was a heavy smoker, or that he does have a few that end up with creased or inverted nipples after but the patients were never bothered enough by it for an revision and it usually only happened on his patients with larger areola/nipple areas, etc.  I appreciated his honesty, and it sounded a lot more lijke he was really engaged with this procedure, and not just doing it out of habit.  The doc I didn't go with was very textbook, only stating that these are some things that could happen and it really left me with the feeling she wasnt very interested in the procedure, or that she was very experienced with them.

Sort of along with that last one, *how* they talk and answer your questions is as important as what they actually say.  You need to feel comfortable with this doc before and after surgery.

Before all that, tho, I just made a list of the closest PSs to me from the PS Board site, and googled each one and saw what I could find out about them in general.  The two I mentioned were mentioned around on other boards (but not about gyne specifically; I could find no docs in my area on gyne boards like this one), and had sites of their own, advertising gyne as one of ther procedures.  The ones I skipped didn't come up on a google search, or didn't talk at all about gyne on their sites.

Hope that helps!  Happy hunting!  Just remember to be patient and don't rush it - take time to do the research and see at least two docs.  I know you're anxious to get rid of the gyne, but taking your time now will pay off both pre and post surgery.

Offline CGeorge

• Posting Member
thank you so much for the information and advice. people like you is what makes this website so helpful.   :)

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Things to take with you: Referrals from your family Doctor and Endocrinologist, A note pad, Pen, A list of any medications you are taking, A family member is handy.

What to do or say: Answer honestly any questions but otherwise say Mostly nothing, if you are busy talking you cannot hear what the Doctor is trying to tell you. Take notes, in as few words as possible. Review and rewrite the notes as soon as you leave the doctors office before you have time to forget what those few words mean.

Hang onto all written instructions the Doctor gives you, Almost every reasonable question you might have is answered there.

Any questions about the Surgeons qualifications, certification, methods etc. should have been satisfied before you made the appointment. I don't have faith in the picture book idea because you don't really know if those are really his patients and obviously he's not going to show off pix of his less than perfect outcomes.
Grandpa Dan

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
took note of some good past posts on the subject before and combined/edited them a little.  trim it down to size if you think that's appropriate. 

Are you board certified for ps/cosmetic? 
How many times have you done this surgery and/or how many times in the last year? 
Will you be doing both excision and liposuction? 
If just lipo, can you change procedure if needed during the op? 
What kind, tumescent, ultrasonic, vaser?  Differences and risks of each?  Entry under the shoulder? 
If excision, semicircular circumaeolar cuts to minimize visible scars? 
How much is the total cost (with anesthetic, hospital stay if any, not just the surgeon's fee)
What kind of scars can i expect, and do you recommend anything to help them? 
Would I wear a compression vest after?  What kind? 
Would I wear drains?  Why or why not?  For how long? 
How soon can I go to school/work/physical exercise? (explain the nature of your work/school)
If not, how long would I be out?
When is the earliest i can get the op?  (coordinate with your schedule)
What kind of anesthesia?  (Might prefer twilight sedation to local if you don't want to remember this) 
Are your results normally symmetrical and hold up well with movement, without binding?
What complications or problems do you try to be alert to during and after surgery?  What's the worst you've experienced, and how did you deal with it?
What percentage of patients have had significant complications? (The physician should disclose this.) 
Are the results I hope for realistic? 
Will you repeat or correct procedures if it does not meet agreed-upon goals?  (specific objective criteria help) 
Would you cover the costs if that became necessary?  (He probably has a policy on this either way.) 
What should I expect post-op in terms of soreness, what to watch for, medication, showering, level of activity? 
Who will be assisting during the surgery? What are their qualifications? Do you do the entire surgery? 
Have you ever had your malpractice insurance coverage denied, revoked, suspended? 
How much fat/gland would be removed?
Expectations for bruising, swelling, scars?
Can I see some pre/post op pictures (and/or could I phone a past patient to discuss his experience)? 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024