Author Topic: Does tanning hide the scars?  (Read 5913 times)

Offline Swenip

• Posting Member

I'm 3 months post op and im happy with the results, a huge difference. But my scars are rather visible. I've had swellings at the scars since the surgery but they have started to go down now. The scars are on the nippleskin so they are more pale than the nipple making them more visible.

My question is, does the scars tan like the skin does? So it can go darker and look more like the nippleskin? If not does the creme that should make your skin tanned work on the scars? Also i know 6 months is the waiting time for tanning after surgery but if this works id like to start tanning 5months after surgery, whats the worst thing that could happen to the scars? I'd appreciate an answer  :)

Offline domsnips

• Bronze Member
Tanning is bad for scar tissue as the sun affect that area before the skin stay out of the sun and out of the solarium rub in some vit e cream and see what happens but do not risk your health to get a tan.

Offline Twin Peaks

• Silver Member
If you tan too soon, your scars could wind up being much darker than the rest of your skin.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Dude... just use some sunblock...  ;)

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Sun exposure after surgery will absolutely keep your scars redder and for a longer period of time -- thereby preventing them from fading.  I always recommend sunblock on the scars for a minimum of 6 months after surgery.

Elliot Jacobs, MD, FACS
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024